Why I'm Like This

~Rhydian~

"This is all wrong! Do it again! Don't mess up or you'll get it!" He rushed out of the room, locking the door behind him. I just sat in the dimly lit room, trying to hold back tears. What does this man expect from a six-year-old? I can't do shit despite the bright mind I had.

After a few hours, my tyrant of a father walked in and ripped the papers from my hand. "Good! Now, this is what my son should be capable of every time." He patted my back, more like slapped my back, in approval.

"I apologize for getting it wrong the first time sir David." I bowed to show my respect. He put a hand on my shoulder and pulled me to stand straight. He made me face him directly, making eye contact and all.

"You better be. Next time I get trash like that I'll make sure it's your last." He stared daggers at me before pulling away and started to laugh like a maniac. By the way, he was looking at me, he was serious about every word.

That's how I learned to make no mistakes. Harsh, but it worked. Many more harsh lessons to come. That's my childhood.

Four Years Later

"Get me the documents." I walked over to his file cabinet and pulled out a very important contract. "Great, thanks. Now get lost." David said with a frown on his face, but as soon as I turned away I could hear him pipe up.

I walked to my room and closed the door behind me. Falling face-first into my bed I was enjoying the quiet, but it didn't last long.

"Rhydian! Get yourself down here and bring down the bags!" My mother yelled from downstairs I groaned and pushed myself up to go downstairs. "Good, now help the nice servants with the bags." She said with a frown on her face.

"Yes, Alice." I quickly bowed before making my way outside to help empty the two cars.

When I got to my room I was greeted by David standing in a dark corner holding a leather belt in his hand. "You broke your mother's new vase." He said calmly, but I could hear the rage in his voice. "And you know the punishment." This time he let his anger out.

He swung the belt at my face causing me to fall in pain. He struck my back over and over again. "Turn around!" I did as told and he struck my legs, arms, and stomach. It fucking hurt!

And I didn't even break the fucking vase!

Semester 4, Sophomore Year

I made it my goal to get what I wanted. Whether that be a girl or money. I hid all my scars and became popular.

I hung out with all the Seniors and did everything with them. Including drugs, girls, parties, everything. It was great, and it got me out of the hell that is my house. I didn't care about dragging my family name in the mud because it meant nothing to me.

"You ready to get some ass tonight at the party!" It wasn't really a question but I answered regardless.

"Hell yeah. Real quick, who is that?" I pointed at a girl with straight raven-colored hair. Hayden turned to look at her. When he faced me again he had a concern in his eyes.

"She has the perfect body doesn't she." Again not a question, but I still nodded my head, my attention still on the girl. "Good luck with getting her. Adam tried early on this year and he got his face bashed into a locker. I would tell you to stay away from her, but get your ass beat if you want."

"Fuck, thanks. Now I want to try her out." I couldn't take my eyes off this girl, something about her demanded my attention but something in my head told me to stay away from her.