Mother's Love

Patricio's shambling arrive made Leon's stomach twist and knot. His eyes widened in recognition of the Spanish rat as the lanky greaseball hurried over to the agent.

"You!"

Leon tore from his seat and grabbed for him. He threw him to an oak column of the dining floor. He growled, "The Hell do you want?!"

"Leon, cool it!" Chris barked and walked over. He asked the man, "You recognize him?"

"Of course I do!" Leon snarled, eyes fixated on the rat. He snapped, "This was the guy who got my team killed in DC!"

He added to Patricio alone, "And if it weren't for you I would have lost my child!"

Patricio blinked. He told Leon, "You've got to help me! They've got my family! Please, you have to help them!"

Chris stared at Leon, then at the cowering man. He sighed, pulled Leon away, and handed him Cristiana, who was fussing. He told the seething agent, "Take care of her."

Leon growled angrily. Reluctantly he let go of Patricio as Chris picked him up. He asked him, "Why are you needing Leon's help?"

"They've got my family," Patricio whimpered. "The Cult of Los Illuminados. They're going to kill them!"

"What?!" Leon spat. His body seized, holding onto Cristiana tightly. The Cult? They were here in the States? But didn't they disband?! His eyes darted about wildly, his mind rolling with questions. His ears echoed with Chris interrogating Patricio, but he couldn't hear a single word.

The Cult was in America...how?

His mind then went back to the man Chris had mentioned, Glenn Arias. That name was not familiar to him, but for reasons or another, Leon had a gut feeling he should. Was it possible then? Was Glenn part of the Cult of Illuminados?

Then if that was the case...then was Glenn responsible for the outbreak of this new virus? Rebecca had told him that the DNA strain of this one matched that of the parasitic Las Plagas...

His heart sank. Run, his mind and heart told him. Run!!!

He heard a large truck pull up and turned, seeing men clad in combat gear of black hop out of the truck. He heard a loud THMP! He whipped about, catching sight of a blond woman who snagged Rebecca in a headlock. He froze.

"Do not move," the woman stated. "Or I kill your friend here."

Leon's heart dropped as Chris stormed over, gun drawn from his holster. He snarled, "Put her down!"

"You both are outnumbered five to one," The woman spoke coolly. "This woman is of interest to Arias due to her research of the Animality Virus. Comply, and we won't kill her, or you or the baby."

Leon turned on his heel and faced the gunmen outside. He then faced the woman, then Chris and Patricio. He swallowed a hard lump.

"Put the gun down, Chris," he spoke softly. He saw the Captain look back at him, as if bewildered of the suggestion. He started, "Leon, I don't think..."

"Put. It. Down..." Leon reiterated. He gazed at little Cristi, then looked up at the woman. He inhaled steadily.

"Glenn Arias is part of the Cult, isn't he?" He asked the woman. "Why bother with a researcher when you have all the information you need? It was not that hard for Rebecca to figure it out. The outbreaks were happening around the Great Lakes, weren't they? And coincidentally, there's a drinking water company that distributes from the Great Lakes as well."

The woman cocked her head. She smirked.

"Very clever, Leon, coming from someone who lost his men in the bombing in DC..."