Chapter 4- Soap

Liam's POV-

The boy- Kurt- was so nice.  I was excited that we at least had one kind guard.  This experience won't be as bad as I'm positive many many others are.
My baby brother crawls off of me and sits on the bed snuggling up to the hard pillow and tough sheets.  "Hey bub? Want some bread?"  I grab a slice from under the pillow, my back towards the cell door so it doesn't look so obvious that we have bread.  He grabs it hunger fueling his movements, and chomps down.  I smile at him, he will be eating as much as he can get, even if that means I skip a few meals. 

After Leon and I finish half of the bread two frail men walk into the cell.  The guard locks it behind them, and they both take a seat on the one bed that they now had to share since me and my brother have joined them.  "Hey kid," the skinniest smiles to me and my brother before talking again, "I'm sorry you have to be in this situation."  The man next to him grabs his hand, holding it tight.
Seeing the affection makes me smile.  "I'm sorry you guys do too... Not much we can do about it now though."  I stare at their hands as I speak, thinking if I will ever find a man to hold my hand like they held each other's.  But their hands drift apart because of my staring.  I look back up at them.  "I'm sorry for staring I- '' The skinny ones boyfriend I assume interrupts me.
"No no, it's our bad.  We forget not everyone accepts us, plus I just realized you were Jewish."  He is easy to say it was his bad.
"No I was just thinking... I mean how could I not except people who are like me...?"  I smile at them.  They smile back, their hands now holding each other again. 
"It's refreshing to have people who understand around here, especially since the Nazi guards hate us.  Anyways, just call me Pop.  You can call mister bones over here Paw.  We are getting old."  I smile even wider at their nicknames. 
"Liam and this is Leon!"  I say with excitement  only to receive a STFU from a guard across the hall. 
I giggle, and drift off with my brother held in my arms.  It was an eventful day...

I wake up to banging on the cell doors.  "Wake up faggots!  We got work to do!" I sit straight up, my brother rubbing the sleep from his eyes. 
"Bubby... How come mommy got taken away, but you didn't?"  Leon asks.  I'm used to his questions about my gender, this was one of them just in the wrong situation.  I put my finger on his lips and shake my head no, making sure he understands he can't ask those questions here.  He nods and holds my hand as we both get up. 
"Hey kiddo's it's time to work."  Pop says smiling at us even though he doesn't seem very happy.  Paw stands next to him with the same old dirty clothes as yesterday. 
"We don't get to shower here do we?"  They both shake their heads.  I hold my little brother's hand, and we follow Pop and Paw to the courtyard to get our jobs. 

Both Leon and I were on laundry duty.  However Leon couldn't even talk well, how do they expect this little boy to do laundry.  I, on the other hand, know how to do laundry from experiences.  I grab the clothes and push them against the washboard rubbing them up and down.  "Bub you watch and learn.  When you wanna try you can grab some clothes and wash them okay?"  I talk to my brother.  He mumbles random sounds smiling as he watches the bubbles of soap fly around.  I jump as I hear someone clear their throat behind me. 
I turns to see Kurtis standing behind me with a basket of clothes.  He drops them next to me, "Hey Liam, hey Little Lion."  He ruffled my brother's hair, making my brother laugh.  I smile at Kurt. "I'm glad you got laundry duty, it's one of the easiest jobs.  Well if you know how to do laundry."  I giggle, "Well I've done it my whole life.  Lucky for the others."  He hums sitting next to me.
"I didn't expect a boy to be doing the laundry for the family."  He bumps his shoulder on mine.
"Well, Mama needs help sometimes.  You never helped your mom with chores?"  I turn to Kurt.  His smile changed into a frown. 
"I wish she could be here to teach me."  My eyes widened at his response.  I didn't mean to hit a nerve with him, especially because he could be my only chance of surviving this place.
"I'm so so so sorry.  I didn't know.  I didn't mean to get into a sensitive subject."  I murmure apologize to him, but he just laughed it off.
"No it's fine.  It happens.  People can't live forever."  He smiles at me.  I find myself blushing and smiling back.  I stared at Kurtis for a good minute before I heard my brother yell. 
I gasp and turn back to see my brother laying in the bubbly water.  His hair filled with bubbles and his clothes now soaking wet.  Luckily it wasn't winter yet or else the little man would be freezing.  I laugh at him and pick him up out of the water.  I drop him on Kurt's lap. "Dude my uniform!"  Kurt gasps getting covered in water and soap suds.  I just laugh and continue to wash the clothes.
Kurtis is nice.  Pretty cute too.  Huh?  I didn't say cute!  I could never fall for a boy who was keeping me in prison.

I think I just did...