Chapter 5- I Hope

Kurtis POV-

I played with the boy on my lap. He was still wet from falling into the washing tub, but I truly didnt mind. Liam was smiling as he washed the clothes, he seemed to be enjoying himself.

Sadly, the lovely time we spent together had to be interrupted by a bang on the door, and my father entering. I change my position so that I am holding onto Leons arm . I whisper a small Im sorry before I start to yell, Dont let it happen again! We only have so much water to clean these clothes. Dont let this thing ruin it all! I frown as I say it, but I try to look angry. Liam has his eyes opened wide for a second, but only says yes sir, and takes his brother from me.

I dont want to be mean, but I dont want to be trapped in a concentration camp either, or to get punished by my father. I shouldnt be helping a Jew, but I cant help myself. These people dont deserve the suffering Hitler has ordered to put them all through.

My father walks up to me and pats me on the shoulder. Good work boy. But I have yet to see you give them what they deserved, a harsh punishment. My father doesnt give me a whip, or make me hurt the two boys in front of me, only walks away. I assume he didnt expect me to hurt any of them. I at least dont want to come off like I will willingly harm them. I frown at Leon and mouth the words bye little Leon bye Liam. I run after my dad, but not after accidently dropping a bag of bread for the two boys.

My father walked slightly in front of me as we scrambled past the starving prisoners. The looks in their faces saddened me. Father Why are gay people meant to come here? My voice shakes.

Because being gay is disgusting in unnatural? Why do you ask? You think those fags dont belong in here? My father raises his voice to me towards the end of his sentence. I shake my head fast, definitely not wanting my father to suspect anything. I mean it isn't my fault I like boys! How could I not? They have beautiful hair, eyes, oh and their face shape. I let myself blush red at my thoughts. Yeah boys are cute. I find my mind picturing Liam making me even blush harder. I cant believe I keep thinking of him.

My father didnt talk to me the entire ride home. It was silent as it usually was. Now I sit across from him during dinner, picking at my food. Kurtis. My father says suddenly making me look up hastily.

Sir?

Tomorrow we are bringing the men at the concentration camp to go take showers. Im confused at his words. What does he mean by saying showers like that? Which means they will be brought to a big underground hall. We are gonna take all their things, then gas them. He mustve seen the confusion on my face so he continued. My eyes widen at his words.

Gas them. Kill them. Kill innocent people. Kill Liam and little Leo. They dont deserve that I dont want them to die. I bring myself out of my thoughts, and nod at my father. I mumble a yes sir and take my plate to the sink. I run to my bedroom afterward letting my mind race. I have to get Liam and Leon out of there. I whisper to myself thinking about how easily I connected with them.

I fall asleep after making up a plan to get them out of there.