Alfaaz Two: Rabt (Connection)

Koi Raabta Aapse Aise Judd Gaya Hai Ki
Dil Seene Mein Rehne Ka Naam Hi Nahi Letha
Par Pooche Jho Dimaang Se Ki Kya Hua Hai
Tho Woh Aise Peshatha Hai Ki Koi Anpad Gavar

Sahir knew that falling in love with Zoya was wrong. She belonged to someone else. But he couldn't help it. His heart had already left his ribcage. It was on the ground, at her feet waiting for her to either step on it or pick it up. He didn't mind what she wanted to do with it. His heart belonged to Zoya Siddiqui and he someone knew that he was never going to get it back.
Zoya: What are you thinking about, Sahir?
Sahir was brought back from his chain of thoughts by Zoya's words. He looked at her in wonder. Her clueless expression made him smile. Suddenly, it started raining heavily and they ran in to the palace. Sahir looked at Zoya who was drenched in the rain. Water was dripping from her hair and body. Sahir briskly took off his jacket and offered it to Zoya. It was his brother's jacket and he never parted ways with it but for the first time, he felt like giving it to someone else.
Zoya looked at Sahir who was offering her his jacket. She had half a mind to take it from him. Rain water was dripping from his body and he was trembling a bit. She didn't want to see him in trouble nor did she want to stand all wet in front of him. Zoya remembered Haider's fear about Sahir and it started eating up her peace of mind. Zoya took the jacket from Sahir and wore it. They stayed at the palace till the rain subdued.
Zoya: Let's go now. The rain has stopped. Come to my home. I will get you something to eat. I am starving.
Sahir: It's okay. I will eat from my place. I just have to take an auto or taxi.
Zoya: My home is nearby. Just come. It's okay. We are friends now, right?
Sahir: Yes. I will come then.
Zoya smiled and Sahir didnt know how to react. He followed her to her scooty and got on it and rode along with her.
Sahir felt Zoya's hair on his face and his palm that touched her shoulder, burned. He didn't react, he just let time take him wherever it wanted.
Zoya: We are home. Come with me.
Zoya dragged Sahir in to her home. Zoya had a two storied old house which was theirs since generations. Haider's house had a similar structure but it was new compared to hers. Siddiqui family lived in that house for four generations. She loved her house and everything about it.
Zoya: Sit down, Mr. Chaudhry. I will get you hot parathas. My Ammi's best. Zoya walked in to the kitchen and found her mom preparing paratha. She could smell the aloo in it and figure out what her mother was making even without seeing it.
Zoya: Ammi, we have a guest today. Make two more please.
Roshanaq: Who, Zoya?
Zoya: My friend, Sahir.
Haider: Sahir?
Zoya was stunned to hear Haider's voice. He was in the room next to the kitchen, eating parathas. Haider mostly ate from Zoya's house. But she had no idea that Haider had returned from his gang. Zoya looked at him and gulped. She was scared for Sahir. She wanted to protect him at all cost.
Haider: Why is he here, Zoya? And why are you wearing his jacket?
Zoya: It rained on the way, Haider.
Haider: You are lying but it's okay. You can tell me later. Ammi Jaan, feed your guest. I am full.
Haider got up and washed his hands. Zoya realised that he hadn't eaten his food.
Zoya: Haider, it was nothing. I can explain. Please don't leave.
Haider: At the college, Zoya.
Haider smiled and walked away. He took his bike and rode it to college. Zoya felt a lot of guilt in her heart even though she hadn't done anything wrong at all.
Zoya: Sahir, did you hear anything?
Sahir: I didn't. But Haider gave me a death stare while going out. Am I in trouble?
Zoya: Not as long as I am here. You just eat.
Zoya took a deep breath. She knew about Haider's possessiveness for her. But he never cared about her friendship with other boys till lately. As she was active in politics, she was always close to the boys in the college and Haider had never spoken a word against it. But since the last few months, Haider has changed a lot. He started beating up people and warned those who said or acted as though the liked Zoya. Haider's change scared her. But Sahir didn't love her and he would simply leave in two days. So she can say that to Haider and keep his anger in check for at least this matter, she thought.