Alfaaz 12: Aghyaar (Strangers)

Zindigi ka har ek rastha tum ho aur har ek manzil bhi tum
Mere har ek jawan dhadkano mein tera naam aise ulajh gaya ki
Mein khudh teri rooh mein ulajh gaya hun
Jaise chandni raat mein saari qayanaat

Sahir waited inside the pool for Zoya. He wanted to teach her how to swim. Zoya rejected the idea at first but then gave in to his constant requests. Sahir was floating in the water. He could swim very well. But still, he was scared. He had promised himself that he will be extra careful while teaching Zoya and will make sure that she wont drown, ever.
Sahir heard the sound of the door to the pool room opening and he saw Zoya coming inside, wearing a swim suit. Sahir’s jaw dropped seeing her in that dress. She had her hair tied in a bun and he could see her cleavage, her bare hands and legs. Sahir’s heart started beating faster.
Sahir: You are the hottest woman I have ever seen in my life.
Zoya: What did you say, Sahir?
Sahir: Did I say that aloud?
Zoya: Yes, you did, Sahir Azeem Chaudhry.
Zoya smiled.
Sahir: I didn’t mean it.
Zoya: What? That I am the hottest girl that you had ever seen?
Sahir: No, I mean, you are the hottest and the most beautiful woman I have ever seen but I didn’t mean to say it aloud.
Zoya smiled.
Zoya walked towards the pool. Suddenly, she froze near the edge seeing the deep water. She looked at Sahir with fearful eyes.
Zoya: I can’t do it, Sahir. I will fall and drown. I am going back.
Sahir: Zoya, wait. I am here, Zoya. I wont let you drown. I promise. Turn around and hold the rail and come down. I will hold you.
Zoya started trembling. She had trouble breathing. Zoya closed her eyes.
Zoya: I will fall, Sahir.
Sahir: Zoya, look at me. Look at me. I am here. I will not let you fall. I have promised, right. Come down.
Sahir moved towards the steps and held the metal rail. Zoya turned around and held the rail and tried to step down. She kept her feet on one step after the other and then in to the water. Her heart started beating faster. She tried to feel the next step below and there were none. Suddenly, she felt Sahir’s hold on her body and she took a deep breath and let go of the metal rail. Sahir caught Zoya by her waist and pulled her in to the pool.
Sahir: I got to you, Zoya. I got you now. Just relax. Relax.
Zoya: Okay.
Zoya took deep breaths. Sahir’s presence made her heart calm down. She held his hand and turned around and looked in to his eyes. Sahir held on to her waist without letting go.
Zoya: I love you, Sahir.
Sahir: Say it again, Zoya.
Zoya: But why? I said it once, didn’t I?
Sahir: Say it again or else I am letting you go. Come on.
Zoya: Then, let go, Sahir.
Sahir looked at Zoya and relaxed his hands. Zoya didn’t flinch. Sahir suddenly hugged her tightly. He was trembling.
Sahir: I can’t let go, Zoya. I won’t let go.
Zoya: I know that. I love you, Sahir.
Sahir didnt say anything and just smiled.
Zoya: Now teach me.
Sahir: Yeah.
Zoya: And what were you saying about the women. How many women have you seen in a swim suit?
Sahir: Women? Me? No, I didn’t say anything like that.
Zoya: Sahir.
Sahir: Okay, maybe 20 or 30 or is it 40? I don’t have a count, actually. I used to have a lot of pool parties and girlfriends. I don’t even remember all of them.
Zoya: Okay.
Zoya looked down. She felt like crying.
Sahir: Are you jealous, Zoya?
Zoya: I am not.
Sahir: Clearly, you are.
Zoya: Maybe, a bit.
Sahir laughed softly. He lifted Zoya’s face with one hand.
Sahir: That was before I had met you, Zoya. After I saw you in that train in Lucknow, I could never see another woman. It was just you and only you.
Zoya smiled. Sahir kissed Zoya’s temple. Zoya hugged him softly.
Zoya: Let’s learn swimming, Sahir Miyaan.

*****

Sahir tied a small black cloth over Zoya’s eyes and held both her shoulders. Zoya started breathing heavily. Her heart was beating fast. She touched Sahir’s hands. She didn’t know what was in his mind.
Zoya: What is it, Sahir?
Sahir walked Zoya forward, towards a table and took her hand and placed it on top of it. He then, whispered in her ears.
Sahir: There is a world map on the table. Touch any place and we will go there tomorrow.
Zoya: Any place?
Sahir: Accept for North Korea of course. I can’t take you there.
Zoya laughed. Sahir smiled.
Zoya: Why with closed eyes?
Sahir: So that we can hear your heart’s calling.
Zoya smiled. She moved forward and touched the map. Then she removed the cloth from her eyes with one hand and looked in to the map.
Sahir: Thailand. That is close. So your heart is calling you to Thailand.
Zoya laughed.
Zoya: Let’s go there and find out.
Zoya moved towards Sahir and kissed his lips and moved back.
Sahir: What was that?
Zoya: Nothing.
Zoya smiled
Sahir suddenly lifted her in his arms and kissed her lips. He walked towards their bed holding her close to his heart.