Alfaaz 8: Ala Rasi (Anything for You)

Tum ek sher ho ya shayari
Hawa ho ya saawan ki barish
Jo bhi ho tum saajan
Bass mera hi rehna har dum

Sahir turned and twisted on the couch. He couldn't sleep. It had been happening since the last few days. Sahir had pain on his neck and back because of sleeping on the couch but he didn't say anything to anyone. Sahir got up and sat on the couch. He turned on the mobile torch and tried to get his hot water bag. He didn't want to wake Zoya up by switching on the light. Sahir took the bag and filled it with hot water and came back from the bathroom and suddenly the lights in the room were turned on. Sahir looked at Zoya who was standing near the switch board.
Zoya: What happened, Sahir? Why are you awake?
Sahir briskly hid the hot water bag behind him.
Zoya walked towards Sahir and grabbed the bag from his hand.
Zoya: Are you unwell, Sahir? And don't lie.
Sahir looked down and then in to Zoya's eyes.
Sahir: I have neck and back pain because I am not used to sleeping on the couch.
Zoya: Ya Allah, why didn't you tell me? Come here and sit down.
Zoya grabbed Sahir's hand and made him sit on the bed and started placing the water bag on his neck and back.
Sahir: I will do it, Zoya. It's okay. Go back to sleep.
Zoya: It's not okay, Sahir. Promise me that you will tell me if you are uncomfortable with anything, ever. Promise me now.
Sahir: Zoya.
Zoya: Promise.
Zoya showed her open palm to Sahir and he held it.
Sahir: I promise.
Zoya: I will move out to another room and you can sleep here on the bed.
Sahir: We can't do that, Zoya. The servants will come to know about it. And if the news goes out, then the media will screw my existence. I can't afford that.
Zoya: Then, I will sleep on the couch.
Sahir: No, I can't allow that, Zoya. You will get sick and I will never let that happen. So, don't argue on that.
Zoya didn't speak for sometime. Then she left the sleeping bag on the bed and came down and stood in front of Sahir. Zoya slowly sat down on the floor and looked in to Sahir's eyes. Sahir stared at Zoya in surprise.
Zoya: You may sleep on the bed.
Sahir: I said that I won't let you sleep on the couch or the floor. The argument is over, Zoya.
Zoya: You are so stubborn, Sahir.
Zoya got angry and her nose became red. Sahir hadn't seen her angry in a long time. Sahir smiled.
Zoya: Stop smiling. And don't react before I complete the sentence.
Sahir: Okay, say it.
Zoya: You may sleep on the bed with me. I trust you. I mean, I have never distrusted you. But now, I am fine with it. So, sleep here.
Sahir: I can't Zoya. It's not right.
Sahir's heartbeats started racing. He kept his hand on his heart. He feared that Zoya could listen to them.
Zoya: I listened to everything that you have said till now. You have to listen to me too. Stop talking and come and lay on the bed. That's it. Sick people are not allowed to talk.
Zoya was adamant and angry and Sahir couldn't get enough of it. He kept on looking at her with a smile on his face.
Sahir: Zoya, think about it again.
Zoya got up from the floor and got on the bed and grabbed Sahir from the back and pulled him on to the bed and tried to lay him on it. Sahir fell on Zoya's lap and Zoya softly moved him to the bed.
Sahir: Zoya, stop.
Zoya: Not a word, Sahir Azeem Chaudhry. I make the rules here. You sleep this instance. Close your eyes and no office tomorrow.
Sahir looked at Zoya. The girl who used to lecture everyone around in college was finally back and Sahir couldn't be happier. He smiled and laid back on the bed. Zoya went ahead and switched off the lights and laid down next to Sahir. They laid there calm and quiet for sometime. Then, both of them moved towards the two ends of the bed and shut their eyes tight.

******

When Sahir woke up the next morning, he couldn't find Zoya in the room. He looked at the clock and it was already 8 am. He suddenly got up and his back hurt. He had to talk to his team and let them know that he couldn't make it to office today. Sahir called his secretary. Sahir looked out of the balcony while speaking and found Zoya in the garden, tending to the plants. His heart melted.
Sahir then brushed and walked out of the room. He walked down the stairs and then to the garden. The sky was clear with a few cumulus clouds and a soft breeze touched Sahir's face. Sahir came and sat next to Zoya who was busy cutting the dead leaves and putting manure for the plants. She didn't realise that Sahir was there.
Sahir: Thank you, Zoya.
Zoya jumped in surprise.
Zoya: Sahir, you scared me. Don't do that ever again.
Sahir: I am sorry.
Zoya continued her work. She had soil on her clothes and face. She looked beautiful in her blue salwar and loose hair. Sahir's heart started beating faster. Sahir remembered how Zoya had moved towards him while sleeping and how she hugged him tight and how he couldn't sleep for a long time and then how he softly moved her away from him and took deep breaths for a long time before going back to sleep again. Sahir smiled.
Sahir: Why are you doing this, Zoya? We have three gardeners.
Zoya: I am bored, Sahir. And it's nice to be close to the plants. I feel good.
Sahir: Let me help you.
Zoya: No, go and lie down on the bed. I will bring you food.
Sahir: I am fine, Zoya. My team will be coming here for some office work. Only if you allow it, of course.
Zoya laughed out.
Zoya: Are you afraid of me, Janaab?
Sahir: No, I am not. Yes, I am. You are pretty intimidating.
Zoya: Am I?
Zoya laughed again.
Zoya: You may work for three hours today and you will lay down for the rest of the time.
Sahir: Yes, ma'am.
Sahir smiled. Zoya continued her work in the garden.