Alfaaz Five: Sayonee (Soulmate)

Zoya sat in the midst of a crowd. She was in all yellow. It was her Haldi ceremony. Her friends and relatives were singing, dancing and laughing out loud. Zoya felt a deep pain in her heart. None of it felt right to her. Everything that was happening around her felt completely wrong to Zoya. She suddenly wanted to get up and run away from there. Then, Zoya saw her Abbu in the crowd and she stayed. She had to stay. Every time when someone applied Haldi on her, it felt as though her skin was being peeled off. Silent tears fell from Zoya’s eyes.
Roshanaq: What happened, Zoya?
Zoya: Ammi, please end this quickly. I can’t take it anymore.
Roshanaq: I will, Zoya. Please give me some more time.
Zoya sat in the hall for some more time and when she could no longer bear it, Zoya slowly got up from there and walked out of the house through the back door. Songs were being played in her house loudly. It hurt Zoya more, listening to Haider’s favourite songs. Zoya ran towards Haider’s house. Tears were falling down her eyes.

‘Tarz-i sanaayi man nami-daanam
Ay noor-i qalbi ay noor-i rooham
Kaa‘ba-i dil-ha qibla-i dil-ha
‘Ishq-i haqeeqi khaaliq-i ‘aalam

Maula..

Zoya opened the front door and got inside the house. It was semi dark inside. The only light there came from the various decorations in Zoya’s house. Zoya closed her eyes and tried to remember Haider and his family. His Abbu, Ammi and Aisha and the happy times she had spent with them. All of them were gone. His Ammi died, Aisha got married and his father left with Aisha to another country. And Zoya had no idea where Haider was. Everyone had left her alone in darkness. Zoya felt lifeless at that moment.

Jahaan bhi dekho tera nishaan hai
Mahraab-i dil men teri azaan hai
Tu hi ahad hai, tu hi hai waahid
Tu hi hai makhfi, tu hi jali hai

Yeh sab tumhaara karam hai Aaqa
Ke baat ab tak bani hui hai

Kisi ka ahaan kyoon uṭhaaen
Kisi ko haalaat kyoon bataaen
Tumheen se maangen ge tumheen do ge
Tumhaare dar se hi lau lagi hai

Zoya ran towards the stairs that led to Haider’s room. She climbed them quickly. His room was locked. It was tough to open the lock. She used all her strength to open it and cried hard doing so. Zoya opened the door wide and entered the room and coughed because of the dust. She hadn’t cleaned the house in days. It made her cry harder. She felt suffocated staying inside the dark empty room.

Ye sab tumhaara karam hai Aaqa
Ke baat ab tak bani hui hai
Allaah hu
Allaah

Ay mere maalik
Ay mere maalik, mere khaaliq, mere haajat-rawa
Jab naheen ho saath koyi bas tera hai aasara
Ay mere maalik, mere khaaliq, mere haajat-rawa
Jab naheen ho saath koyi bas tera hai aasara
Chhaaye kaheen jo gahra andhera
Teri ‘ata se aaye sawera
Teri hi khalqat chaand tare
Tu ne hi bakhshi yeh raushani hai

Zoya slowly walked towards Haider’s cupboard and opened it. There were many books inside. She touched them and remembered Haider and her going to bookstores and buying books and reading them together and asking doubts about them and having conversations till 1 am at night. Zoya cried silent tears. They fell on the book that she held in her hand. Zoya missed those hours. She missed Haider.

Yeh sab tumhaara karam hai Aaqa
Ke baat ab tak bani hui hai

Main faqeeri men bhi hoon kitna qalandar dekho
Dekhne waalo zara mera muqaddar dekho
Khata hui to khata ko meri chhupaaya hai tum ne
Karam apna kar diya apna banaaya tum ne
Kisi ka ahsaan kyoon uṭhaaen
Kisi ko haalaat kyoon bataaen
Tumheen se maangen ge tumheen do ge
Tumhaare dar se hi lau lagi hai