Alfaaz Nine: Be-khudi (Ecstacy)

Ek chaand hai aasman mein
Badalon ke peeche chupa hua
Ek chaad hai mere seene ko
Aansuon se bhigata hua

Zoya has been noticing Sahir since the last two days. He has been looking at her from different parts of the house as though he wanted to tell her something. He would look at her and walk towards her and then turn around and walk away as though he had remembered something else. Zoya couldn't understand why he was acting that way.
Zoya was sitting on the garden bench when she found Sahir walking towards her. Zoya looked at Sahir with suspicious eyes. Sahir looked at Zoya for sometime and then he turned around and started walking away. Zoya briskly got up and ran towards him and blocked his way.
Zoya: Sahir Azeem Chaudhry, what is it that you want to tell me?
Sahir looked everywhere except for Zoya. Sahir spoke after a few moments. He was stuttering.
Sahir: Zoya, I want you to accompany me for an award function.
Zoya: Award function?
Sahir: I will be awarded the business man of the year next week and there will be an after party. I want you to come with me as my wife.
Sahir lowered his eyes.
Zoya: Is that it? Is this the reason you were following me all the time?
Sahir: Yes.
Zoya walked closer to Sahir and cupped his face and looked in to his eyes.
Zoya: Sahir, you can ask me anything. Trust me, I wont get upset. I hate crowds but it's your big day and I have to be there. I mean, as a good friend. And congratulations for the award, Sahir Miyan.
Zoya extended her hand to Sahir for a shake. Sahir took it. He had a sudden urge to pull Zoya towards him and give her a bone crushing hug. But he simply shook her hand. Zoya and Sahir smiled at each other.
Sahir: There is one more thing.
Zoya: What?
Sahir: I would like you to wear a saree when you come. Would you?
Zoya: A saree? I have never worn a saree.
Sahir: Your stylist will help you with it, Zoya. She will bring you the sarees in the evening and you can choose one.
Zoya: I have no idea about sarees. Would you help me?
Sahir: Yes, of course.
Sahir's heart was beating faster.
Zoya: So, let's do it.
Sahir: Yes.

******

Zoya walked in to her room looking for a book to read and she found some more books on the table. She had only three which she had brought from her home with her and had kept on the table but now, there were 5 more. Zoya walked towards the table and checked the books. They were all coaching guides for ICS examination. Zoya's eyes started tearing up. Passing the ICS exam was her greatest dream. She wanted to serve in the government. She had even convinced Haider to write the exam. But he left without a word breaking both their lives and dreams. Zoya started crying silently.
Zoya heard Sahir's footsteps and she wiped her tears off and tried to smile. She didn't want to trouble Sahir.
Sahir walked in to the room and saw Zoya near the table. He didn't want her to see the books without him and that is why he ran towards her when he found that she was going to their room. Sahir walked towards the table and picked up a book.
Zoya: What is this, Sahir?
Zoya felt like she was choking without air. She had a hard time speaking.
Sahir: These are guides that would help you to study for ICS, Zoya.
Zoya: I can read, Sahir. What are they doing here now?
Sahir: It has been almost 6 months since you have come here, Zoya. I know that you are bored and I also know that you are intelligent and I want you to study.
Zoya: Sahir.
Zoya didn't complete the sentence.
Sahir: I had talked to your Ammi and Abbu and had asked them about what you wanted to do in life. I thought that you wanted to become a singer or dancer but they told me that you always wanted to crack the ICS exam. So I checked the age limit and education requirements and as you have graduated with high marks, you can apply for the exam, Zoya.
Zoya: I can't, Sahir. I don't want to. I don't have it in me anymore.
Sahir: How do you know that without trying, Zoya?
Zoya: I have even forgotten how to try.
Zoya was almost in tears and Sahir couldn't stop himself from hugging her. But it surprised him when Zoya hugged him back tightly and wept on his chest. He hugged her closely. Sahir softly walked Zoya to her bed and sat her on it and he bend down and wiped her tears.
Sahir: We are going to try, Zoya. It is not to see if you can crack the exam. It is just to know that we have tried. I have consulted a friend and he told me about a coaching centre. They have an entrance examination. You have three weeks' time to study and crack the exam. If you do, then you can join the centre and they will coach you for the ICS exam.
Zoya was surprised to know that Sahir had made all the arrangements beforehand.
Sahir: You might be thinking that I am a forceful husband. I might be. But I can't see you like this, Zoya. You were, are and will always be the best and I want you to be that. I don't want you to sit in this house as a housewife. I want you to see the world, to see people, fight for your dreams and do whatever you wanted to do growing up.
Zoya suddenly hugged Sahir tight. She wept again.
Zoya: Thank you for coming to my life, Sahir.
Zoya wanted to say that she loved him. But she stayed silent.
Sahir: No, thank you for existing, Zoya.
Sahir and Zoya hugged each other and stayed in their hugs for some more time.