Chapter 8: The Last Time

8

"Bus is here. Off to school for you!"

Rosie looked out the window. "No thanks."

"No thanks?" John put down his mug. "You have to go to school, it's required by law."

"Homeschool is a thing."

"What's this all about?"

John couldn't stop thinking about what Sherlock had said.

You can do something nobody else can.

It makes everyone hate you.

They don't ignore you, no that's too good for a freak.

No, they never leave you alone.

He couldn't be right. Rosie was small and sweet and amazing. No one would hurt her like that. He was just planting ideas in her mind.

Who was John kidding? Sherlock was always right (well, almost always.) But that didn't change the fact she still had to go.

"I can't pay for that, and I don't have time to teach you. I have errands, and therapy, and... there goes the bus. Hop in the car, I'll drive you."

"Can't I skip just this once?"

John scooped up the keys. "Car. Now. You're going to be late."

"I can just teach myself!"

He slung her over one shoulder. "Even Sherlock went to school," he said.

"But Rich is there."

"Ignore him." She stiffened as he tried to put her in her carseat, and he had to bend her into it.

"And Mrs. Fletcher is there."

He kisses the top of her head. "It's only for a little while."

She was quiet as he pulled out of the driveway, but then she asked, "Did they call you weird when you went to school?"

"A little. It's just life."

"It's just not fair," she grumbled.

"Life isn't fair. Certainly hasn't been fair to me."

"They don't like me because I act funny. Rich says I'm weird 'cause I don't have a mom."

He remembered the crumpled Mother's Day craft he had found in the trash.

"And I don't have a wife. Instead I have a pesky, sociopathic consulting detective."

"Why are you so mean to him?"

"I'm not." John swerved into a parking spot and jumped out to unstrap her.

"He was just trying to help, but you let them take him away."

"He needs the help, and they are going to help him. It's in his best interest."

Rosie's face was red and crumpled. "I thought you said it was bad to lie?"

"I'm not lying." He marched her into the office. "I'm bringing in Rosamund Watson, she missed the bus." He scribbled her name down on the clipboard.

"You don't believe that," she said.

He bent down and gave her a quick squeeze. "Have a good day."

She was looking down, scuffing one sneaker against the ground.

"Hey, it's going to be okay. I'll see you soon."

***

When the desk lady turned around, Rosie crouched behind the desk. She was not going to school.