Part 8: Final

VIII: Final

The soldiers brought Walter to Canterbury outside of Canterbury Cathedral where

He will be executed by King Henry IV. Walter’s hands and legs were chained.

He remained silent but his mind thinking calmly:

It was all in my head. I believe in that old witch tale and I was corrupted by her words.

I never really felt like I had a purpose when I was blinded by my religion,

I was just obeying the Old Hag, like a ship, her will became mine.  

I was a mere puppet to her and she used me for I don’t know what! Now I am going to die.

But yet I do not feel fear. I want to die. Too many have died because of my perversion.

And so I welcome my death of my own will. I could easily escape from death but I choice not to.

I will face death like a hero.  I found a purpose in life without a religion—I am free from my cage.

I rely only in myself and I will only believe in myself. And if there is an afterlife it will only be in

The integrity of my own mind…

The soldiers pushed him onto a custom-made stage that was built for his execution.

King Henry IV was standing on the platform with a bastardsword in his left hand. 

More than 300,000 people gathered around the platform waiting to see the Nihilist execution.

The knights escorting Walter place him on the platform next to Henry and made him kneel.

All was silent and King Henry IV spoke “This unholy man has killed several of our fellows. He killed

For his expediency believing that the more he killed the more he will have servants in his kingdom.

Such absurdity! Look! He slays thousands of men and women and he hasn’t the slightest remorse.”

Walter thought of Juliana, Emma, Isabella, and Beatrice. Although his face was phlegmatic

Tears fell from his cheeks. The King continued “His sins cannot be cleansed so I have decided to send

You to Hell, punishment too harsh for even you! I Pray God have pity on your soul for demons will

Eat you alive and skin your body. Speak your last words!”

There was an unbreakable silence not even the wind disturb it.

And then Walter heard it: The sound was the most harmonious, prepossessing sound he had ever heard.

It was the sound of a bell, not just any bell an unearthly one.

Whenever it rang its holy vibrations flowed through him like an electrical current;

The sound gave him hope and it gave him a purpose—a real one!

Walter’s tears were falling down his smiling mouth; he understood what the Peasant meant.

He looked at the crowd and he saw in the very front the Peasant;

He was the only one who was crying.

Walter opened his mouth and addressed the Peasant:

“I-I can hear it! I can hear the Bell!”

Walter cease to speak and the tranquility resumed and the Peasant smiled.

King Henry raised his sword above Walter’s head.