Chapter One - Preparations

Chapter  One

Halloween night. A special night for everyone in town. For decades all the children who were exactly  thirteen years of age were preparing to go out trick or treating. To us it is a happy night where all the kids go out and dress up to trick or treat the people at their doorsteps. But in this particular town this night was a matter of life or death. This was the year that David would participate in the big event that had been around since before he was born. He didn't like the idea much, but his parents had always told him it was for the greater good.

"Are you ready yet, David?" his mother asked. She was quite pale and it looked as if she had been crying. He didn't know for sure though, since he had been isolating himself the whole day. Not that he was afraid that the night was coming, but figuring out the best places to visit and where he had the best chances to stay alive were occupying most of his mind.

     "David?" his mother repeated.

    "I'm on my way Mom," David replied. He tied his shoes extra tight and he picked up his bag. No costume, of course. On Halloween night it was mandatory for children to stay in their regular clothes and grown-ups to dress up. A few years back there was a boy who dressed up like a girl in the hope that he would be left alive. But he was one of the first to die. 

There were twenty more minutes before he would start the worst night of his life. He checked everything in his backpack again. Some items were allowed to help the children to the night. Things like food, any kind of light source or an extra pair of shoes were often found in the backpack of children. Bandages were considered unfair as well as weaponry of any kind. The hosts of the Halloween night did not want to see children attack grown-ups when they were in a pinch. Not that it would help the children at all though. They were not allowed to kill. He carefully walked down the stairs, afraid that he may break a leg or twist an ankle. He did not want to end up like his sister and twist an ankle before starting the night.

     "Do you have everything, dear?" David's mom asked.

     "I have bread and juice boxes. Should I bring a spade too?" David asked. 

     "Take our gardening trowel instead. A spade is too heavy to carry along with you all night. You would drop dead before you reach the morning light! I've counted the fifty pieces of candy twice and also if all the barcodes on the wrappings are working." she said.

     "Don't worry Mom, I'm sure it's going to be alright. I won't die tonight. I know how hard it's been since we lost my sisters, but I'm agile! I can outrun the fanatics. I'll do better than my sisters did," he said, though he felt he said it more to convince himself than ensuring his mother.

     "I hope so, David. I'll be watching your GPS signal the whole night. When your heart stops beating I will know..." She let out another sob. 

At birth everyone in town had a GPS locator implanted. It was quite a nifty little piece of technology. Not only could you be tracked down at all times, but at a hospital it could also give a medical report of your body. This came at a price though. A good price for many as it would give a deadly electric shock if the GPS registers if you harmed anyone. But on Halloween night and only on this night some of the rules could be changed if the Trick or Treat host would announce it. 

As long as anyone can remember is Peter Gibbiwibbs the host of the Trick or Treat night. He would occasionally add extra rules to keep this night an entertaining night for the grown-ups. But this meant more of a living hell for the children who had to attend it. 

"As long as you don't go look for me it will be okay Mom. Don't do the same Mr. Peterson from next door did ," David said with a trembling voice. A few years back Mr. Barkley went outside to look for their daughter. But once he stepped outside his own garden he dropped dead from the shock that the GPS had given him. 

        "We just stay put in our house to make sure that will never happen. It's almost time. Are you ready?"

        "There isn't much more I can do now other than to wait for the starting signal. Nice costume by the way.. I'm sure you'll frighten a lot of kids," David said. She was dressed like a crazed bride. She used her old wedding dress for this night every year. But she had never attacked any children. If she had done that her dress would have blood stains in it. But hers was still as white as snow.

        "I'm glad that's all I have to do. I feel for the ones who didn't get married again this year. They have a difficult task tonight," she said.

        "Yes they do," David's father said, who just walked into the kitchen. "I wouldn't want to be the one doing those horrible things to the kids just to stay alive. Although I'm sure some of them like it..."

"Three more minutes. Let's put the candy in the bag and make sure you have everything you need. Now remember! Don't assault any of the parents or they're allowed to hunt you outside their garden. Don't lose any of your candy and give only one of your candy per house and-" his mother started crying for real now.

     "And don't try to be a hero when you see a fanatic or parent outside. Just run, and if you are really in a pickle, go to the graveyard. You'll be safe there for an hour. But be careful, it has it's drawbacks," his father warned David carefully.

     "I know, Dad. Thanks," David said.

     "Now go outside. We will probably be hearing the announcement soon on the radio.

     "Thanks, Dad. I'll see you tomorrow maybe", David said. 

     "I hope so too, son", his father said. 

     "Farewell if you won't make it. And don't you dare become homesick. That could be the end of you," his mother added. 

David gave his mother and father a last hug before leaving the front door. In his street there were three more kids standing outside their house.

     "Wait! You forgot your flashlight!" his mother shouted. David heard steps of her rushing out of the living room and threw it to David in the hall who barely caught it.  "Now you're ready," she said. 

     David felt relieved that he had everything now. "Thanks, Mom. I love you," David said, barely able to withhold his tears.

The door closed and David stood still in the night. It was warm, a bit cloudy but the partial moon seemed to be able to shine through it sometimes. They had announced it would rain later that night and he wasn't certain if it would help him or not. All he knew was that this would become the longest night of his life.