Chapter XI: A Day with the Builders

Things are different around the Glade. A week after the fight, not a single person has called you ‘greenie.’ Everyone, including Alby, has a newfound respect for you. As for Gally, you remain in competition with him: who can get the most work done. Running is a challenge, but each day in the Maze brings back a new memory; a lab test here, a conversation there. By now, you know all of the boys; you even know how to act around each one. You can tell Thomas anything and he’ll guard it with his life. You’d like to say the same thing for Chuck, but he’d probably accidentally let it slip out in casual conversation. Newt’s the one to go to for advice: he’s an amazing listener. Minho’s the jokester; he never fails to please a crowd, even Alby, who never seems to smile. As for Gally, he’ll give you the occasional dirty look, maybe a rude comment or two.

On the 10th night of your stay in the Glade, Alby tells you to take a day off from running after a particularly frightening experience. 

            That morning, you had a vision, a normal occurrence by now. This time, however, you passed out for a full 10 minutes. Minho had to carry you back to the entrance. If you two had been farther out into the Maze, you wouldn’t have made it back by nightfall. For your leave of absence, you decide to take Gally up on his end of the deal and spend a day with the builders.

            The sun has just begun to rise by the time you get to the Deadheads, ready to wash off the dirt the past week has provided. Reaching the slope down to the stream, you’re shocked to see Gally, drying off from his apparent bath.

“Oh, shit Gally— hurry up, will you?” You shield away from him, embarrassed at your sudden intrusion.

“I have pants on, don’t throw a fit.” He laughs at your flushed cheeks. You turn around, relieved you didn’t walk in on anything more. He’s shirtless, half clothed from the waist down. You can’t help but examine him a bit. He’s fit, with an athletic build and broad shoulders. His abs are toned with the rest of his body, flexing and tensing as he bends to get his shirt from the forest floor, using it to tussle his wet hair. Stretching his arms above his head to put it on, you can’t help but see his prominent v-line, leading the way down to his…

“Something on your mind?” He asks, interrupting your developing thought.

“Just waiting for you to hurry your shuckface up.” You say, administering your daily dose of sass.

He grins. “S’all yours. Hurry up or Minho’ll leave without you.”

“Actually, today, I’m a builder.”

“Ditching work?” He raises his eyebrows.

“You saying that building isn’t work?” You retaliate. He walks up the slope.

“That’s no way to talk to your boss.” He makes sure to emphasize the last word. “I’ll go wake the other shanks up. Meet me in 10.”

            You’re back in 5 minutes, still soaking, determined to let Gally know you mean business. He’s already gotten to work, chopping up a halved log. Knowing the day is not going to be easy, you pull your auburn hair into a messy ponytail, ready for whatever Gally throws at you.

“Right on time.” He passes you an axe; it feels heavy in your hands. “Zart’s been bugging for a toolshed. Today, you’re helping me build it.” You follow him to the Deadheads, where a fallen tree lays split in half. For the next ten minutes, you cut the wood into planks, carrying them back together. Next, you begin to nail the slabs to each other. On your third try, you miss the nail, hitting your thumb instead.

“Shit!” You curse, sucking on it. Gally walks over, noticing your mistake.

“Try it like this.” He stands behind you, using his left hand to guide you down the hammer to the correct spot. With his free limb, he holds the nail steady from the base. “Keep your eye on the target; squint if you have to.” Hand on top of yours, he brings the hammer down, hitting the nail perfectly. You twist your head around to face him.