Covid-19/Corona

Dear readers,
I know, it's exhausting, I really do. Covid-19 also known as the coronavirus has been all over the news, papers, media, journals, it's everywhere and omnipresent. Almost everyone has been personally affected by it, I, for instance, had to leave my apartment in Germany and move back in with my mom in my homeland. The University I attend got closed down and I'm currently taking all my classes from home via some improvised online programs. I'm sure a lot of you are going through something similar right now and I'm sorry about that.
Being a young and healthy person myself, I fully understand that all the steps which are being taken right now may seem unnecessary and exaggerated. People like us, who don't have any sort of pre-existing illnesses and are not considered an at-risk group mostly only experience slight symptoms such as coughing, fever, etc. and it's often even less severe than the annual flu.

BUT, some people are not as lucky as we are!

Many of our fellow men are considered high risk patients such as people with diabetes, cardiovascular diseases, chronic respiratory diseases, immune deficiency diseases (such as HIV) and so on. The lethality of the coronavirus is currently at 1-8% (depending on the country) which is double as high as the mortality of the influenzavirus. Just last night, the count of deaths in Italy passed the 3400 mark, crematories are not able to properly bury the diseased anymore and the dead have to be carted off by military trucks and cars. Can you imagine the feelings their relatives have to endure right now? First loosing a loved one and then not even being able to hold a funeral for them? God, I surely can't and don't want to imagine that.

I want to use my opportunity as a small author on this plattform to appeal to as many people as I possibly can.
There are very valid reasons as to why the governments and the WHO are taking action the way they do. As the daughter of two doctors with longstanding experience, who're currently giving their absolute best to save lives and support our healthcare system, I can assure you: The situation is dead serious. This is a pandemic, a state of international emergency has already been declared, it's neither a joke, nor scaremongering.
Even though the symptoms of Covid-19 are treatable, some people do require inpatient treatment and/or have to be moved to the ICU. The more people get infected, the more people will experience symptoms worse enough to be in need of special care and the less rooms hospitals will have available to treat coronapatients and other intensive care patients.
Of course, the likelihood is rather small and I wish no such thing upon anyone but there's always the possibility of you or someone you dearly love getting hurt, sick or injured so severly that you or them will be in need of intensive care. There's really no way to live life with an absolute security, no matter how thought- and careful we act. Just imagine the situation in Italy right now, due to the lack of medical supplies doctors and nurses are forced to decide which patients they keep alive and which they give up on. Maybe someone who's gotten into an accident will die because the hospital simply hasn't the capacity to treat him anymore even if his condition was treatable.

My message to you guys out there: If we don't take action ourselves and obey the newly established regulations, then we are part of the aggravation of this situation. We need to act right now, not in a week, not tomorrow, now! Every single one of us is responsible, young or old, healthy or not, we need to protect the community, our coworkers and friends, our siblings and parents, our grandparents and maybe even our great-grandparents.
The failure to do so because of personal interests, such as wanting to hang out, go clubbing, earn money etc. is absolutely unacceptable and displays of irresponsibility and egoism. Just last night the german 'Tagesschau' (which is a national daily news show here) reported about how policemen still have to waste their now very precious time on breaking up group get togethers and parties. Honestly and I know this may be a hard choice of words but people who care so little about the common good disgust me.

So, stay inside, keep social distance, desinfect, wash your hands, stay up to date and support each other! If you're unsure about how to correctly behave and/or need help getting the newest information on Covid-19, I put some helpful links and phone numbers down below. Don't be afraid to ask!

Last but not least, I wish for every single one of you to get through this without any hurt or loss. I hope you and your loved ones stay healthy and safe or recover fully if you get/got infected. Support each other through these hard times, use the luxury of technology to stay in contact via Skype or telephone and please, be responsible and think about the consequences of your actions! 

I'm sending you all the love and support I possibly can and will try to write lots of chapters, so you can keep yourself entertained at home!

Lots of Love

Nina 

Corona Information and Help:

International Information (WHO): https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019

Corona Q&A: https://www.who.int/news-room/q-a-detail/q-a-coronaviruses

Unites States: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/about/index.html

UK: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-information-for-the-public

EU: https://ec.europa.eu/info/live-work-travel-eu/health/coronavirus-response_de

Germany: https://www.bundesgesundheitsministerium.de/coronavirus.html

Help Line: +49 30 346 465 100

Simplicissimus Video "Coronavirus: Warum wir jetzt handeln müssen": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ponCPbsLoM

Switzerland: https://www.bag.admin.ch/bag/en/home/krankheiten/ausbrueche-epidemien-pandemien/aktuelle-ausbrueche-epidemien/novel-cov.html

Help Line:  +41 58 463 00 00