chapter one

Marks pov

I winced a bit as the sound of the front door slamming resonated throughout the house. My dad was probably mad again over something Minor, it was a common thing these days. Part of me still wants to love my dad, but he's been making my life and my mom's life a living hell recently.

I thought summer was meant to be my time to relax, but right now I feel like I'd be better off in a boring classroom than here. I almost Groaned when there was a small knock on my door. Part of me just wanted my mom to leave me alone, but I knew she probably needed me after a fight like that.

"Come in" my tone was quite, I was admittedly really tired. And it wasn't due to lack of sleep, being here is just mentally and now physically draining. My mom slowly opened the door, and slowly shut it behind her. I could see the dried tear stains on her face. I wasn't going to point anything out though in case she didn't want to talk about it.

"Mark..." She seemed deep in thought, her eyes glazing over with new tears. "I think you should go stay with your grandmother for a bit". I don't really know my grandmother, I know she was talking about my grandmother on her side since the grandparents on my dad's side are all dead.

If I've met my grandma before it was probably when I was too young to remember. I was born in Canada so I must have met her then, but after my parents moved back to Korea I've had no contact with her. Would she even be fine with me spending the summer with her? I've definitely grown a lot since the last time she probably saw me. There's a pretty big difference between being two and being seventeen.

I had to address my concerns with my mom. "Would grandma even be fine with me staying with her over the summer? The last time she saw me was probably when I was a baby. We've never really been close." My mother rolled her eyes at me. "Mark she lives in the middle of nowhere by herself, she would love to see her only grandchild". That seems to be a running thing in the family, only having one kid.

"Mom it would be awkward" my mom shook her head. "mark please, she's getting old. She would really appreciate the company and help". I shrugged "I guess if she's fine with it I'm fine with it. Where does she even live?

My mom smiled, she must be reminiscing about her childhood in Canada. "She lives in Tobermory, far outskirts of the small town. She lives in this beautiful large cabin surrounded by woods." My mom chuckled a bit.

"I remember as a kid during the summer me and my parents would hike to the shoreline so we could go swimming. Tobermory is very small but it has one of the most beautiful beaches I've ever seen." I gave my mom a soft smile "sounds peaceful".

My mom just nodded her head "you could use a peaceful environment, relax for a while, mentally prepare yourself for your senior year". She was right, the thought of being a senior and graduating next year is hard to process. Maybe getting away for a while could settle my Nerves.

"Though Tobermory is a quiet town you still need to be careful, strange things tend to happen there". My mom said the comment as if that meant nothing. "Wait, what do you mean by strange?" My mom looked at me, a mischievous glint in her eyes.

"Legend has it the town of Tobermory has a strong connection to magical parallel world's! One wrong step and you'll end up in a whole new dimension". I knew she was messing with me. "Don't you think you're a little old to believe in magic?" My mom shook her head "you're never too old to believe in magic".