Chapter 3

I was stirred from my sleep by the excited voices of my long time servant who was more like a mother to me, Seonghwa, and a few of the kitchen staff.

"Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday dear Areum! Happy birthday to you!" They sang.

I smiled, blowing out the candle on the cake they got me.

"Thanks guys!" I exclaimed.

I sat upright rubbing the sleep out of my eyes.

"Is mother coming?" I asked.

Their smiles faltered.

"She's busy preparing the party, I know. She'll give a half-hearted congratulations there. It's fine. Today, is my birthday and nothing can ruin that for me," I smiled.

I got out of bed, taking the cake from them, dipping my finger in the frosting.

"Oh my gosh that's amazing. Thank you guys so much," I bowed deeply to them, showing my gratefulness for the amazing cake.

I cut a slice for everyone before cutting one for myself, quickly digging into the gooey goodness.

"It's like heaven in my mouth!" I exclaimed, not caring how improper I was being.

They chuckled, "It's nice to see you so happy. Enjoy your birthday sweetheart."

I nodded, watching as they left.

Seonghwa stayed back, "Happy birthday Areum."

"Thanks Seong."

"You know the entire country is celebrating. Everyone is posting about the princess' royal birthday. They all said they're gonna watch it on TV," he said.

I punched his arm lightly, "Sure. That's why they're watching. It's not like my mother hyped up a big announcement."

He rolled his eyes, "You're impossible."

I smirked, "And you're gonna be my escort for the party. If that's okay with you of course."

He smiled, "Of course I'll escort you. But I did kinda set up a date with..."

"You're an idiot. I'll make my own way. Go be with your lady," I said.

"Well I can't do that because my head will be on a chopping block. I'll escort you and then have some other people take over," he said.

"Whatever you want lover boy. Now go. I'm assuming I've got some party oversights to do," I said.

"About that, you need to oversee the entire set up of the party. Your mother is socializing with the noble clans," he said.

I scoffed, "You got it."

I stood up motioning for Seonghwa to leave while I changed. I threw on a t-shirt and tucked it into some jeans, before slipping on some slippers and heading out to the courtyard.

There was at least a hundred people scrambling uncertainly, trying to get the party set up.

"Your highness happy birthday!" They all bowed and cheered.

"Thank you all. For the party, there's no extra instructions I have. I know my mother usually changes thing at the last minute but just follow the original given directions and do that please. Thank you all for your hard work," I said.

They applauded, continuing their work way more relaxed.

I sat on a nearby chair, Seonghwa standing protectively behind me.

Time Skip

After a few hours of watching with a lazy stare, my fashion and makeup team called me to get me ready.