Chapter 9

After the dining etiquette class, the rest of the week consisted of my mother lecturing the suitors on all other aspects of royal life. We went over ballroom dancing, proper attire for different events, how to respond elegantly, and how to appear in public. And while all the suitors did well, my mother seemed to particularly praise Young Gi, despite his shortcomings to the other suitors.

But I was excited because today we were departing for the first noble territory. The first clan was the rose quartz clan and their representative was Choi Seong-Hun who looked like he wanted to piss himself. 

My mother addressed me seriously, "Alright darling the moment has come. Every elegance class and every etiquette class was for this moment. The moment where you choose a partner to be by your side to rule with you."

Right, my whole life was in preparation for a marriage I wasn't ready for. Lovely.

My mom pushed my shoulders down and angled my chin so that I was perfectly straight.

"I trust you'll make the right decision. This isn't some reckless choice you can make. The future of your country depends on this choice," she pressured.

I sighed, "I understand mother."

She gave me a very forced smile, "That's my princess." 

"Pardon me your grace but the limo is ready for her highness," Seonghwa came beside me.

My mother gave a bitter smile, "You're Park's son. You Park's sure know how to handle security. Just make sure you give my daughter some privacy when she's alone."

Seonghwa smiled politely, "I will do the best I can within my duties as her personal guard."

And with that he offered me his arm and led me to the limo.

For the first time, with the exception of school and when Seonghwa and I sneak out, this was the first time in my nineteen years of life that I got to do something without supervision and had some control over.

I was excited for the possibilities.

On our way out I noticed Mingi saying goodbye to his friends. He had a very distraught and uncomfortable look in his eyes.

I sauntered over to them, catching the others off guard.

"Ah your highness you gra-"

"No formalities remember. Is everything alright over here?" I asked.

Mingi swallowed hard, grabbing my arm and pulling me aside. Seonghwa and the boys were startled by his informal action, but I waved them off.

"I am not cut out for this. Everyone looks at me like I'm the biggest outsider they've ever seen. Despite trying to do everything well I feel like I'm falling short. Maybe I should take your dropout offer. And now you're probably going to guilt me into staying but Areum, you have no idea how I'm feeling!" He exclaimed.

I rubbed his arm, "That's not true. I went to a citizen's high school remember? Believe me, you feel like the biggest outsider because you are. But that just means that you've got more chances to prove your worthiness. I told you I'd protect you and I mean it. I know you feel alone and confused but in case you haven't noticed, you've piqued my interest more than anyone."

He blushed softly, letting out a small, "Oh-"

"I've got to go but I hope when I arrive at the estate to see you there. But if not, it's okay. I don't go back on promises," I said, turning back to Seonghwa.

We headed to the limo, immediately being greeted by a variety of champagnes and royal delicacies.

I settled in for the ride, watching excitedly as the palace faded out of view and gave way to the busy modern streets. It was mesmerizing to watch this world pass by. But it made me sad. I really was living in my own bubble.