Chapter 24

"Take her to the cell."

"We should just kill her."

"No. I will kill her when I see that she's completely broken. When she's lost everything. Only then will we do anything."

"Maybe we should inject her with another dose in case she wakes up too soon."

"Why? She'll be in a cell you moron. She can't do anything but suffer. Also, another dose might be too much for her body to handle."

"Look at her. How pathetic. She's just a lifeless body in Young Gi's arms. She's heroic to a fault. And she's gullible to think we won't hurt her loved ones in exchange for her pain."

"She's just like her father. But no matter. Soon her bloodline will be eradicated and we can finally rid the world of their tyranny. Then we will be free to do whatever we please. They'll know they made a mistake when they exiled us."

"Alright, enough talking. Bring her to the cell and tie her up. I want her to feel like a true prisoner. Maybe then she'll think twice about escaping."

"By the way, how did you know she was going to try something?"

"Because she never sleeps. She just silently cries. I usually wake up for a few seconds to see that. But while I was watching her cry, she got up."

"She's a fool."

"ENOUGH! Take her away now!"

My body was hauled by someone where I was assuming was our prison cells. My body was dropped on the cellar floor. I felt my hands being bound tightly by rope. Then I heard the sound of the door closing and footsteps walking away.

Wake up Areum.

Wake up dammit.

Sleep later, escape now.

WAKE UP.

WAKE UP.

WAKE UP.

WAKE UP!

My eyes shot open and adjusted to the dimly lit cellar.

Everything hurt and my throat was on fire. I had a feeling that by me willing myself awake, I was going to have a hard time recovering. But that was the least of my concerns. Survival and escaping were my biggest worries.

I tried everything to get the ropes off of my hand, but they were wrapped tightly, digging into my skin. I tried to use my foot and pull it off, but none of it was working.

Giving up on freeing my hands, I weakly stood up to see if there was an escape. The keys weren't anywhere around and unfortunately, the guard wasn't stupid enough to leave the door unlocked. The space between was also too small for me to slip through. Luckily, I had an alternative.

My hairstyles always required bobby pins, so I had a bunch just sitting prettily in my head. And since my hair was dark, they blended in pretty well.

Actually, being in the cellar was a better situation than I thought. Once I unlocked the door I could probably sneak out the secret way and not be noticed since it was a direct feeder exit.

I pulled out a bobby pin from my hair, quietly trying to fit my hands through the gap. But it was too small for both my hands.

So what I did was bite the rope a bit and wiggle it down on one hand. It wouldn't slip off but I could shift the positioning, giving one hand more leverage than the other.

Now I had access to pick the lock. I wasn't the best at it, but I had done it successfully a few times. For research purposes of course.

I fiddled with the lock, praying that it would work before anyone decided to check on me again.