👀 What's This?

A small peek at some of the changes to come in the edited version of my other book, Chasing Pearls? New characters? Names? Scenes? Hmmm...

#SpoilerWarning for anyone who hasn't read past the Ramadan chapters in that story yet.

-------------------
With her phone in her right hand, Ahlaam typed away as best as she could. She was eager to resume talks with Ahmad. Ramadan was officially over and her father gave tentative permission for marriage conversations to resume. Ahlaam's excitement at the news got the better of her, and the moment she managed to sit down with her phone, she was already typing up a letter.

Hey, ya miss me?

Delete. Delete. Delete.

As-Salaamu 'Alaikum once again, Ahmad. Has it been  month already? I didn't notice.

Erase. Erase. Erase.

Hey, Eid Mubarak! I got you a gift, it's me!

Backspace. Backspace. Backspace.

Hey, you freakn' bum, you have no idea how much I freakn' missed you! Don't you ever freakn' do anything to jeopardize our chances together again!

"Ahlaam put your freakn' phone away," Hameeda ordered. The older girl was seated right in front of her, carefully drawing out intricate henna designs on the palm of Ahlaam's left hand.

It was the night before Eid and the girls had all gathered at Azza's house for a henna party. Hameeda was the most skilled artist of the bunch but she couldn't afford to host everyone at her place with her husband around. At Azza's house, they were free to take off their hijabs and relax, do their henna and have fun.

"Your California love can wait," Zaynab teased. She wasn't too far away, sitting on a purple bean bag chair in the corner of Azza's room. Ahlaam shot her a glare and she stuck her tongue out at her.

"What makes you so sure I was even talking to Ahmad?" Ahlaam asked as she locked her screen and set her phone down. "I do have other stuff going on in my life you know."

"Yeah, but you get this lovesick look on your face whenever you're thinking about him. It's very noticeable."

"Whatever." Ahlaam rolled her eyes. She couldn't deny it because she knew it was probably true. How often did she find herself smiling without even realizing it until she readjusted her face?

"I for one find it adorable," Hameeda said.

"It makes me wanna puke," Zaynab replied.

"Now, now Zaynab, don't be jealous. You'll find love someday, In Shaa Allah. In the meantime though, you need to say Ma Shaa Allah and be happy for our friend here before something else bad happens to her budding relationship."

"Yeah, yeah, Ma Shaa Allah," she muttered. "Anyways, Ahlaam, what's all this other exciting stuff you allegedly have going on?"

"Well my grandmother is coming to visit in two weeks, for one. It's been years since we've visited her, so that'll be nice. I was worried how the stupid travel ban and all that might affect things, but Alhamdulillah she'll be coming soon."

At that, Zaynab and the others expressed their joy for her. Before she could say more about her plans, however, Ahlaam was interrupted by Azza's mom entering the room. She came bringing a tray of green tea and Eid treats. Azza's mom, Jamilah, was the absolute best at baking. Her traditional mung bean-stuffed sweet rolls were beloved by all who tried them, but she only ever made them for Eid.

Azza retrieved the tray from her mom before the other girls jumped to swarm her. They thanked Jamilah graciously, and though her English wasn't so good, she let them know that the desserts were all made with love and delight for her guests and the holiday.