Chapter 5

Angus sat in the land raider, along side his brothers, waiting for the first bolter round to hit the floor and for tyranid blood to drip from his combat knife. The land raider's engine groaned as it's treads grappled the ground, the tank shells slowly slid into place down the barrel, air washed over the thick armour. The roar of Thunderhawks above echoed in the land raider like a ominous hum. Angus looked down at his boltergun, pulling back the chain and hearing the bullet click into place. "Brothers, we must ask you to execute the Emperor's will once more. Remember your training," roared a space marine Sargent as he stood up, walking to the back of the tank. Angus felt his grip tighten against his boltergun as the driver suddenly roared, "drop sight in three clicks, dropping the doors." The marines slammed to their feet, pivoting to face the door. Angus could feel his heart racing, his arteries pumping and his lungs expanding.
     He was ready.
     His boltergun was cocked and loaded, his combat knife sharp and his bolt pistol cleansed. "Meet the Emperor's wrath tyranid scum," exclaimed Angus as he slammed his boltergun against his chest before following his brothers out of the land raider. The land raider dashed off and closed it's doors as it fired a giant shell at a huge structure of spores. Smoke glided into the sky slowly as sludge splashed against the baron forest floor.
    The battlefield was filled with space marines, tanks, Imperial knights and Thunderhawks. Bullets littered the skies and the ground like the thickest fog, the screams of tyranids came like a wall of noise as bullets slowly penetrated the main hive base. Angus' squadron charged in behind hundreds of space marines, crying out their prayers and orders. "The Emperor is with us this day brothers," roared the captains of each company as they pressed their attack, piercing every tyranid that crawled into sight. Bolter fire boomed as bullets flew through the sky like microscopic, golden phoenixes.
    Angus found himself slammed against a huge tower of spores and sickly veins, alongside two of his squadron. It was like Cadia again, Stuck in a fight against a horrid plagued species with only a few friends with him. Angus could see Johnson's bloody body laying across the floor in a pool of blood with the poxwalkers grabbing his neck and leg. "Johnson," Angus leaned down to reach for his friend but was disturbed by the sudden sight of tyranid claws scratching at his chest. Angus fell to the floor, the tyranid attempting to pierce his armour but was met with a thick bolter round to his cranium. "Brother, are you okay," asked Brother Louie as he looked down at Angus, his boltergun steaming.       "I saw an old friend, a friend who died on Cadia," explained Angus as pushed himself off the dusty floor. Brother Louie grasped Angus' right arm before wrenching him to his feet, "We all lost someone that day, you broke after the planet," exclaimed Louie as turned away from Angus, "Now let's break these xeno scum balls," he cried as he pressed his trigger down. Bullets launched into the air and Angus began to increase the fire power. His auspex targeting every tyranid in sight, bursting their weak flesh and leaving purple puddles of blood.
    Continuing to push forward, Angus slammed his giant boots into the ground and the occasional skull as his bolter roared like a dragon. Bullets like fire, blood ran like rivers, the screams came louder.
    The sky darkened as hundreds of Thunderhawks flew over head, dropping brothers of old - the dreadnoughts. They hit the ground with tremendous force, launching dirt and blood into the air before their devastating weapons bellowed their holy hum. The storm cannons from the dreadnoughts offered the holiest suppressive cover fire since the Horus Heresy.
   But the tyranids didn't stop.
   Their screams stopped but their horrors continued.
   The ground trembled and the tyranid hive tyrant burst out of his organic fortress. The ground continued to tremble, cracks appearing as purple scales slide across the surface as they dived into the ground with a hellish growl and devilish hiss. Organic plasma fired across the battlefield, scraping paint of the mighty space marines. The tyranids came crawling from a giant central structure, it was like a scaly form of the ancient beasts from Terra - a squid.
    Angus had reached the structure but knew that the real threat still hid far deeper than his current location. Surrounded by his squadron of ten marines, Angus admired the internal structure of the tyranid hive. "By the Emperor, these savage beasts have the same knowledge as the Imperial Fist when it comes to infer structure," stated Angus as he adored the huge organic structure. The Sargent of the squadron marched over an grappled Angus by the shoulders, "Brother, we have no time to be sight seeing. The hive tyrant is two hundred feet above us, it's time to get moving before the hive realises where we are." Angus looked at his Sargent and saluted immediately. "For the Emperor and Leman Russ," Angus chanted.