(29) Veintinueve

A/N: I'm switching to third person since I feel like there is a lot of repetition of 'I', 'he' or 'she'. So yeah.. enjoy! And don't forget to like and comment❤️!

__________

Her life felt like a jumble. From tackling motherhood to making sure the house met both her grandma's and abuela's expectations. The kitchen cabinets were re-stocked with fresh herbs, coffee, tea, and the fridge was filled with brightly colored vegetables and fruits. She smiled, fiddling with a stalk of brilliant orange lilies. The table's surface was a mess of leaves, petals and droplets of water. Maria disregarded the mess as she gently cut another stalk to a desirable size. She hummed as she worked. It had been a long time since she was left alone. And with her mind preoccupied with the flowers, it did not spiral out of control. It was a peaceful scene where the sunlight showered the blush pink room. She wan't sure why she had repainted the living room but it felt right. As if she was starting a new chapter, which the young the latinx was. It helped to sooth the pain of loss, and maybe her baby would grow up and remember the blush pink room where he first spoke, or took his first step.

The snap of the scissors mingled with the soft snores of Mateo was calming her nerves. She knew that once her grandmothers stepped into the house, they would investigate. They would check if the place was baby proofed, even if the baby isn't old enough to move on his own, and then they would begin the search of dust. A job that requires crisp concentration as they rummage around the house in search of any fatal error. She knew that they would do that to insure the safety of their great-grandson, but that doesn't mean that it won't be provoking. And Maria prayed that her hormones won't cause her temper to flare. Sighing, she brushed off the dirt from the table surface, before carefully arranging the lilies into the ceramic blue vase.

She ever so slightly glanced at the sleeping boy to check if all was well. Before centering the vase and taking a step back to admire it. The smile on her lips stretched. The brunette hadn't heard from Oscar all day, and found it difficult to not worry after the troublesome cholo. She was aware of the gang that approached him the previous night, and knew that whatever he and Cesar spoke off was nothing good. A tongue wetted her lush lips. Although, Mia debated if she should check in with the brothers, she knew that they would deliberately dodge her concern. With a quirk of her arched eyebrows, the young mother decided to call the one person that could not, under any circumstances, keep his mouth shut.

A smirk replaced her genuine smile as the beeping of the call was cut by his voice.

"Mia! Hi!" She noted that he sounded perplexed and somewhat scared.

"Hola, Jamal." There was some shuffling movement before Mia's voice spoke again. "Can you tell me what's going on between you and the Diaz's?"

"Nothing." His dismissal was quick and her eyebrows rose into her forehead.

"Don't lie to me, Jamal." She stressed his name in an attempt to sound intimidating.

And that was all it took for the teenage boy to spill the beans.

- C H O L O -

If it was a TV show, Frank Sinatra's voice would play in the background as an ebony haired girl stomped her way towards her boyfriends house. Her wavy's bounced and her arched eyebrows furrowed. The purple skirt swished and the sun rays burnt her forehead. The heat was unbearable as she huffed and swatted her hands in an attempt to cool her flushing face. Maria's arm ached from holding onto the bundle so close and when he began to fuss, she gravely regretted not taking the car.