Chapter 5

The four of them found a nearby village to stay for the night. In the morning they prepared to leave but not without getting a few rides first.

"I only want four! O'Connell can you believe this?! He's trying to cheat me!" Jonathan said arguing with the local man who sold camels.

Ruby rolled her eyes exasperated after watching them hassle for the last ten minutes. "Will you just pay the man!" She yelled glaring at him.

"Oh for heavens sake! I can't believe the price of these fleabags!" Jonathan groaned and paid the men what he asked for. After receiving the money the men  smiled wide nodding in satisfaction.

"Yeah. Happy happy." Jonathan grumbled sourly. Ruby smiled and petted camels head lightly and it grunted at her in return before she grabbed two camel reins and Jonathan grabbed the other two.

"We probably could have gotten them for free. All we had to do was give him your sister." Ruby replied jokingly. Jonathan chuckled.

"Awfully tempting isn't it?"He replied joking back as he passed her. Ruby slowed to a stop as she watched Evie come closer to her with some of the village women trailing behind her. They had given her some clothes and she was now adorned in a black sheer dress with silver flowery embroidery on it and veil with the same design. She had light Smokey eyeliner around her eyes and light nude lipstick that highlighted her lips making them pop out fuller. The whole look made her look like a gypsy.

"Awfully." Ruby repeated softly,staring at her entranced. Evie looked down blushing before staring up at Ruby again with a shy smile.

After that the four prepared for their trek through the desert

After that the four prepared for their trek through the desert. Ruby gently helped Evie onto her camel where she thanked Ruby with a shy smile while blushing again. Being that her dress was thin she could feel the heat coming from Ruby when she touched her. Ruby nodded gently ,before putting a wrap over her head to block out the sun and climbing on her own camel and began leading the way, lightly tapping the camel with the side of her foot.

"I hate camels ,filthy buggers. They smell,they bite, and spit." Jonathan said swatting at a fly that buzzed around him annoyingly.

"Well I think their adorable." Evie said smiling wide while petting her camel's head and for several hours they rode in silence with the sun shining down on them. It was to hot to really do much talking. When it got later they continued going without stopping, since Ruby told them they had to get there before sunrise. At night it was much cooler and at some point ,Ruby ended up riding next to Evie, who was fast asleep on her camel. Evie moaned in her sleep with her head swaying from side to side before leaning her head on Ruby's shoulder. Ruby looked over at her in surprise before gently pushing her back over before she leaned to far and fell off the camel. She then put her finger to her lips,shushing the camel when it made noise.

While the rest of them snoozed on their camel, Ruby stayed awake being the guide. She heard the sound of horses and looked up to the cliffs in the distance to see the same group of men who watched her when she left the city the first time . She eyeballed them suspiciously again. The four men watched the four camels and the curly haired man noticed the person in the front even from so far away.

(This one's spirit is strong.) he said to the others.

********************************

It was almost sunrise when they met up with Beni and the other men on their horses as they came from the opposite direction and met in the middle.

"Remember our bet O'Connell. The first person to reach Hamunaptra gets 500 bucks." Daniels said. Ruby just shook her head in disbelief.

"100 of that can be yours if you help us win this bet." Anderson said to Beni, spitting on the ground.

"Oh my pleasure." Beni replied before looking at Ruby.

"Hey O'Connell nice camel." Beni said sarcastically and Ruby smiled petting her camels head as it made a noise of appreciation.

"Why are we waiting here?" Anderson asked impatiently.

"Patience my man." Beni responded.

"Wait for it." Ruby said lowly to Evie who was next to her.

"For what?" She asked looking at her confused.

"We're about to be shown the way." Ruby just replied staring in the distance and Evie just followed her gaze.

The sun began coming up over the horizon and like a mirage the area in the distance shimmered to reveal buildings and tower structures made from stone and crumbling walls. Everyone commented how incredible it was, but Ruby.

"Here we go again." She said sighing. All of a sudden Ruby tapped the side of her camel quickly,making her camel take off. Beni was right behind her followed by Evie and the others. Beni caught up to Ruby and was tied with her. Hoping to make her fall behind he began hitting her with the whip used to make the camel go faster.

"Ow! The fuck?!" She exclaimed as he kept hitting her. Getting pissed she grabbed ahold of his shirt and leaned him towards her. "So long Beni." She growled ,pulling him all the way off, and He fell with a yell and tumbled to the ground.

"And that serves you right." Evie said looking down as she passed by him.
She quickly caught up to Ruby by tapping her camel in quick light taps with her whip. Ruby looked at her amazed and Evie smiled at her widely with excitement in her eyes. Ruby could only smile back . This girl was different from other girls she meant and that doesn't just include how beautiful she is. Evie began making these clicking sounds while tapping her camel and it began groaning while running faster.

"Oof!" Evie said looking at Ruby wide eyed as she passed her. Her Camel overtaking Ruby's , while Ruby looked on shocked. Evie smiled with joy as she could hear her brother Jonathan cheering her on behind her as she was the first one to reach the city.