2

I woke as I had for the last several months, on the ground with the mule and horses standing guard. After last night's standoff, Cook had led me to her cabin where the supplies were offloaded. Since Smithy was supposed to care for the animals but was unable, I had decided it would be easier to handle them myself rather than hunt around in the dark for the stables. Just as I was about ready to start my day, Dad hollered, "Get yer sorry tail in here and eat."

It was at that moment that I remembered I had not had any dinner last night. "Keep ya shirt on, I'ma comin'" I bellowed back. Rolling to my feet and shaking out my hair. 'Goddess, I need a bath and a willow twig', I think as I move toward the back door. Stepping up on the small porch a male pup slams open the door and yells, "He said..."

Looking straight down on him he grins and runs back into the den. I follow making sure to shut the door. I am in a short hallway on one side a door leads to a mudroom and a door on the other side to a pantry, as I take a few more steps a large room opens up, it is a kitchen and dining area. Two Long tables with benches on either side take up the middle of the room, with a smaller long table along a windowed wall with several chairs along the side looking out over the room. There I find Dad eating ham and eggs with gravy-n-biscuits. "At least one thing hasn't changed", I tell him leaning in to give him a hug and kiss.

"Yer Grandmother used to tell us 'Breaking your fast is an important meal and it should be a hearty one', he says this in a high pitched feminine voice trying to mimic Lady Elizabeth and failing miserably.

I want to giggle but I can't, knowing what I do and having seen what Pack Wolfe has become. Instead, I manage a weak smile and ask who I need to talk to about some grub. Sensing my mood Dad didn't press me he just hollered at one of the passing females to bring me a plate and coffee.

With food eaten, I went back out to see about my animals. I has been told that Smithy would not have the stallion on his grounds which meant that I would need to build a barn or stable for them. Gathering everything up I waited for someone to show me where I would be staying, an Alpha's work was never done and that was why Dad would not be showing me to my new den. He had offered me a room in the Large cabin or Pack House, as he called it, but I knew it wasn't for me. While saddened that I would not be under his roof he was still satisfied that I would be close. Patience wasn't a virtue I excelled at, so after gathering my stuff and standing around a few minutes I headed down toward the river to give the animals a drink and hopefully find some grazing.

They had just finished drinking when a whirlwind of energy barreled in, a pup who was no more than 5 winters. Hot on his trail was a young female, "Stop right this instant or I'm going to let the Alpha deal with you", she hollers. Never stopping he heads straight for me, undeterred by her threat. At the last possible moment, he launches himself into my arms, squealing and giggling about not letting her get him. Catching him pushed me back into the stallion who huffs at us and looks down on the pup disdainfully, "Purdy horsie", he says, grabbing at my stallion.

"How about we don't do that", is all I get out before the young female catches up to us.

"Thanks for catching the little demon. Hey, you're the new female everyone has been on about this morning. Did your horse really bite Smithy? He can be an ass bu...", she yammers on.

"My name is Bo," I tell her, trying to get her to take the pup and shut up. After so long on my own all the noise of a pack is a bit much.

She screeches, "Your Bo? Oh, Goddess, I have heard so much about you. My family arrived just after you had left and WOW to just go off on your own after your first shift..." And she was off again.

"Can you take him, please." I request as we begin walking back toward the Pack House. "Where is our guide", my wolf asks as the young female goes on about how much better it is here than where they were back East.