7

Days rolled on and before we knew it summer was winding down. It had been hot and dry, we had spent a lot of time hauling water until Atsadi had shown up and shown us a way to move water easier. By using trenches and these little door things we could control when the water flowed and when. He only showed it to us after he watched us struggle to water with buckets, that part of him I didn't miss. He had been here for nearly two weeks and I knew that he would soon leave, frankly, I was surprised he had stayed so long. "When are you going to bring Sarah and my beautiful cousin to see all their family?" I had asked several times but each time he had changed the subject or had ignored the question, I would no longer be put off. "Oh, I know I'll go back with you. Yeah, it would be nice to see everyone and..."

"NO, uh no. That is not possible right now you are needed here and..."

I'm sure he would have blundered on but I interrupted him, "That's it, what is going on? Yer not gonna go anywhere until ya answer me." My hands-on my hips and my wolf shining in my eyes, it was time for answers.

His voice was so low that even with my wolf hearing I had to strain and pay close attention. "The babe and many of our tribe are dead." He stopped, taking a deep breath. "Otetiani had foreseen their attack coming right before you came back. So he moved us all. We had not planned on leaving without you but we chose safety knowing that you would return to yer Da. Here. But the signs were misread or it was just fate, but we were attacked a week after the move and..." By this point, I was sobbing and tears were running down his cheeks.

"This is why..."

"Yea, we have moved again. It nearly killed Otetiani and the others but it was the only way. We lost much, most of our belongings and many of those we loved but we saved some and are now safe." I held him tightly as we cried and mourned together.

"I wish I could have been there to protect her and Aunt Sarah. Is Auntie holding up well?" I was cautious to ask, I knew it would destroy me to lose a pup but our world is a dangerous one and it is not uncommon.

"She is healing. We have taken in three small cubs that were orphaned that day. The boys were found after the attack, they seem to have been with the attacking group. They smelled of a cat but until they shift, we wouldn't know." He tells me.

"Well, I know that nothing can replace yer female but the boys will keep Auntie busy and help mend her heart. I want to know when they can come?" I would send up a prayer tonight for my lost female cousin, I would also send more up for my new male cousins and the entire tribe. Family is family no matter how they come. "When do you return?"

"Soon. Otetiani sent me after someone and they have not arrived." Giving me another hug and a kiss to the forehead he leaves giving me no excuse to sit in the shade and relax.

"Keep your Stud out of my mares!" Was the yell I heard as I stepped up on the Pack House porch.

"I'll try but he has a mind of his own", I yell back not even bothering to turn around. I had never named the stallion just referring to him as 'my stallion' but since the new mares had arrived he had been on full male alert. No stall kept him in and forget any fence, if a mare was in need he was there for her. The pack had named him Stud for all his services.

"Don't you walk away from me! Come get him!" The male yelled at me.

Dropping my hand from the door, "Lead the way". I turned to follow and stopped dead. The male at the base of the stairs was unknown to me and handsome to boot. Slowly stepping down as he turned away I wondered who he was.

He set a quick pace as we moved to the far side of the pack dens. Once there I noticed several wagons and many new males and females unpacking and settling in. "There he is, take him and GO!" I was ordered. My wolf was tired of his tone and ready to put this male in his place.