8

This morning a new mare was in with my equine family. When let out she made no move to flee so I guess she was in there willingly. I went about my morning like normal but with all the new pack members and their unwillingness to integrate, there was no doubt that trouble was brewing. At breakfast, the first problem raised its ugly head.

Dad and I had retired to his office to discuss heading out to a trading post in the land of the smokers a large group gathered to trade and meet. It would be a great opportunity for the pack to gain allies and see what the others in the area had to offer. "Please Dad, this would be a great opportunity for the pack to gather knowledge on the locals and to see what information they have on..."

"Alpha come quickly the new group is going to kill Stud", Dad jumped up and raced out the door. I did not hear what was said but I recognized that a link was happening and from his reaction it was bad. I was out the door just behind him.

We rounded the big tree, heading out to the pasture land when I saw that male in a standoff with several warriors. Lying behind the warriors was Stud, racing over I checked him out. "What happened?"

Norman answered, "We heard screaming and came to check it out. This male had Stud by the throat and was going to rip it out but we managed to stop him."

I shifted into my wolf and cleaned his wounds, they were not as bad as they had seemed at first. I shifted back as Stud stood up and shook himself off, as soon as I saw he was looking OK I moved to stand next to Dad.

"Have you no dignity girl", a male from Sleeping Bear's group yelled to me and tossed me a shirt.

I moved so it sailed past me, "I am no girl I am a she-wolf". I told him, staring him in the eye. After he broke eye contact I turned to dad. "What did I miss?"

The male did not let Dad speak, "I told you the next time I saw that stallion with one of my mares, he'd die". He spat at me.

"Alpha, may I deal with this since this is about my stallion and is a continuation of a problem?" The warriors took note of my tone and wording. They began to link to others that something was about to go down.

"Of course Bo. Please feel free to enlighten our new pack members as to how we resolve problems here." Dad was never formal and Alpha rarely was so our speech was a huge sign that Alpha had taken my wolf and I off the proverbial leash.

"Before we begin would you be kind enough to give me your name?" I ask my male opponent.

"You are not a mate nor are you family, you do not deserve to know my name", he replied rudely.

"If that is your wish, but I need a way to refer to you so I will call you meater. Yes, I think that fits nicely." Those gathered behind me snickered or outright laughed. His group growled and huffed.

"Now Now", said Alpha, making both sides quiet down.

"That horse has messed up my breeding program and since you will not stop him I will," Meater says trying to move around me.

"You are not anywhere near your paddock so how did your mare get here with Stud? A grey dapple was here this morning when I let them out. So I should charge you with your mare corrupting my Stud." The warriors again snicker.

"You admit you stole my mare", Meater yells waving his arms as if he has just won.

"No, I said a grey dappled mare was in my paddock this morning when I went to let them out. How she got in is a mystery to me."

"Girl, that stallion will die today by my hand. I have had enough of this. Go home and attend to your duties and leave this to the males." He says again moving to get at Stud.