t w e n t y

[the final chamber]

in the last eighteen hours we had managed to discover that hugh is the time piece senkhara had been earning us to watch and he had been hexed. also somehow we managed to sneak past jasper in the middle of the day and slip through the secret passage in the library.

there was no chance we could fail today as it was mid day, the sun shined brightly through the ceiling and we all held up the reflectors and the light bounced of each one creating the same falcon as yesterday.

the light then disappeared towards the next door and revealed the next chamber. i was first to walk through, but the two statues on either side of me's eyes began to glow bright red and two blades turned to swing.

before i know it i was flat on the floor with a strong weight on top of me. i open my eyes to see patricia had pushed me to the ground saving me from to sharp blades.

"i'd prefer if you had a head." she laughed, helping me up. "come on."

i brushed the dirt off of me before turning to patricia, "thanks, i guess you are growing on me."

"i mean i did just save your life." we both chuckled and finally walked under the two blades and into another chamber, a large chair stood proudly looking across a room with a checkered floor and four tall statues of what looked to be anubis.

"so this is the chamber of the mask, and the mask is-" fabian was interrupted by me, i looked around the room for the mask but there was nothing to be seen.

"not here." i panicked, if it wasn't here, did that mean there were more chambers and if there is, how many more would it be.

"no!" amber shrieked.

"well maybe there is another door." alfie suggested, about to take a step forward but fabian and i held him back.

"no, me don't want to rush in, it might be a trap."

"great, i think this is a game, i've seen this board before." fabian pointed at the oddly shaped floor. "we need to look it up, let's go."

later that day we were all sat round a table waiting for me sweet to come and start the lesson when fabian had called us round, "so i've been searching up our game and i could this, sennet."

"yes." amber squealed, "that's our board."

"yes, similar, but look it says here, no one knows the exact rules as played by the ancient egyptians." everyone sighed in disappointment,

"well print it off, bring it down tonight and compare it with ours."

eddie and jerome now stood at the front of the class, "listen up everyone, i have an announcement to make, we thought you should all know, there are two jack jackle's."

"the real one that writes a sharp, exciting blog about things that matter." jerome praises the writer, a sense of pride in his voice.

"while the other criticises her classmates and takes credit for a blog she didn't write." eddie stated angrily.

"there are only two people in this room that know about mine and eddie's dysfunctional dads, one being mara."

"and the other being my sister y/n."

"so it narrowed it down to two." jerome looked at me and mara, clearly exited that they had discovered who jack really was.

"but i know my sister far too well and know she would never, ever take the time out of her day to write w blog, ever. which leaves mara." eddie was smirking over at me and i nodded, knowing that his statement was true, i could never be bothered to do that.

"the real jack and sweetie has lifted the ban on you mara, you are free to write under your real name." jerome announced, mara smiles for a moment before remembering they had sent joy crying out the room not seconds before.

-

later that night the six of us snuck down into the tunnels and walked down to the last chamber. "it's the same game just without the playing pieces."

"guards? what are they all about?" i asked fabian although i knew he didn't have an answer for it.

"we have no idea what we're doing." patricia complained, we all looked round the room searching for anything that could help, because at this point, we were desperate.

"if only we had the doll house, sarah would be about to help us." amber whined, bringing back the memory of the falling wooden door and how close we all were to getting injured.

"well we haven't so there is only one thing for it." alfie shrugged, taking a step forward.

the sound of cogs turning echoed throughout the tunnels as we all grabbed a hold of alfie. and the sound grew louder before the dim lit room began brighter. a golden light poured in from the other side of the board.

in the glass case on the other side of the room sat no other than, "the mask of anubis."