ShaoYao97 (ShaoYao97)

I discovered Shao’s Red Rose whilst on the Undiscovered tab of the Science Fiction page. At the time I had a science fiction book (maybe someone reading this remembers the wreck that was Athena Blanchett) and I was curious to see what other people were writing. It startled me to find a book written in a writing style similar to my own. Disappointed that Red Rose had very few reads, I decided to send him a message and see what I could do about that.

Me: Why do you write?

SY: I've always been pretty good at school without putting much effort into it. Mainly in math. During my classes I would always think about random things, and after a while I would formulate some idea out of them. Once I had several ideas I would combine them together and soon a plot would form. I guess I also write because I love science. I like the idea of never knowing what's ahead, so I try to make my stories as realistic as possible.

Me: What do you enjoy the most about writing?

SY: People can't tell me what to do next because they don't know what's going to happen.

Me: Why did you join Wattpad?

SY: I tried different writing websites, and slash fiction or fanfics were at the top for most; there was really no original works. Even though Wattpad has those too, most top stories are the writer's own story with their own characters. It sort of fits more with what I write about.

Me: Do you have anything you tend to slip into every story, like a director cameoing in his movie? (For example, in all my screenplays my cat makes a guest appearance.)

SY: Most of my characters are named and based off of people I've met.

Me: Now for the silly questions. Brace yourself.

Me: What was your favorite childhood toy?

SY: Oh geez. I used to play with pixel chix and tamagotchis with my friends.

Me: Do you play any video games? If so, which ones?

SY: I love playing video games. I've been working of Last of Us and GTA 5 recently. I've been getting pretty good at Cooking Mama too

Me: Cooking Mama, huh?

Me: That’s it for today. Thanks so much for letting me interview you.

SY: Yeah, I've finally mastered the octopus dumplings.

Okay guise, so here’s the part of the interview where I tell you to go follow the author at @ShaoYao97 and like every chapter of everything they’ve ever written. You know the drill. (But seriously. Go read the book. You’re end up voting for it, not because I told you to, but because you like it.) I’ll see you whenever I get around to interviewing another random stranger over the internet.