Joanna (joietheboa_)

Joanna (@joietheboa_) is the author of Troubled, a book about high school written brilliantly from the point of the view of the introvert (see also: me!) I reached out to her at 1:00 AM my time (you guys ALL live in a different time zone than me, I swear) and got an almost instant response. This was our interview. 

Me: Why did you begin writing?

JB: Well, one day I was bored... At this point I knew NOTHING about writing, anyway, I started typing something on my laptop, and two years later WALAA!!! 

Me: What’s your favorite thing about writing?
JB: The fact that I can create a person, and give them a voice that can be as strong as a king, or as low as a thief, that just inspires me to give voices to many more characters. And I think that's my favorite part:) 

Me: How do you get over writer’s block, if you get it?

JB: I get writers block all the time, I'm not sure, I guess I think about how it feels not being able to finish a book that I really love, and I don't want my readers feeling that way. So I push myself to come up with something. Even if I feel self conscious about it

Me: What subjects do you write about the most?

JB: Romance. And Teen Fiction. 

Me: What’s your favorite genre to read? To write?

JB: Hm romance haha

Me: What are your biggest influences in writing?

JB: I would like to have an effect on the way people think about certain ordeals, such as my book about self harm;

Me: Do you do any other types of writing, such as screenwriting?

JB:  Nope:)

Me: Now for the silly questions (insert nonexistent ninja emoji here)

Me:Which of your household appliances would you be most afraid of if it came alive?

JB: Haha! Well I'm terrified of things burning... So either the oven or the microwave 

Me: If you had to cite someone you’d never met personally as your inspiration, who would you choose? (i.e. an actor, a singer)

JB: There are a lot of celebrities that I look up to, many people actually. One of the mains would be Ashton Irwin, Chrissy Costanza, and Will Smith. 

JB: I know there are plenty more people but I can't think of any at the moment 

Me: Well, that’s it for today. Thanks for letting me interview you, Joanna. (And sorry for my machine-gun copy-pasting of the questions, I'm tired.)

JB: Thank you! Haha no worries! So am I, that's my excuse for sloppy replies haha. I can hardly keep my eyes open!

Me: Backfires of doing interviews early in the morning, I suppose.

From my versing of the canon of interviews on Wattpad, I know this mantra is gonna get really old, really fast, but drop whatever you’re doing - yes, algebra can wait - and go follow Joanna and read both her books. She’s an amazing writer and you won’t regret following her. I know it. I know everything. I am omniscient. I am also very full of myself and should stop talking.

(Also, apparently we’re both tired, so if we said some crazy stuff I didn’t catch while editing I’m sorry.)