Chapter Thirteen | Breathe A Little Easier

Jade's POV:

Caleb and I slept in until ten o'clock. When we did wake up we went to our favorite diner and got breakfast even though it was almost lunch time. "I have to share what happened to the others today, and I was wondering if you wanted to come along. It's okay if you just want to stay at the house." Caleb said, breaking the comfortable silence that had settled around us for a while. I thought about his offer and it didn't take me long to make up my mind. "I'll go with you." I replied, and a smile spread across his face before he took a sip of his coffee. We buried my uncle yesterday and I probably should have stayed home to let myself grieve. But every fiber of my being just wanted to be around my loop bound friends.

I missed them much since we've been apart. 'if they weren't loop bound they probably would have stayed with you in the present.' I thought inside of my head. Then I suddenly wondered if it was possible that loop bound peculiars could somehow reset their internal clocks. Like... they could do something so they could live in the present without having to age forward. "Well, we better get going if I don't want to be late." Caleb said, taking me out of my thoughts. We finished eating and paid for our meals before leaving the diner. The two of us walked to the cafe that housed the loop entrance. Once we were in the back storage room, we changed into Victorian era appropriate clothes. As soon as we stepped into 1898, a sort of excitement rushed through. Even though the heat was stifling it filed my lungs in an oddly refreshing way.

That's when I realized that I hadn't only missed my friends, but the time period as well. I couldn't help the smile that was on my face as we headed towards the doctor's house. I rand the doorbell and waited for someone to come and greet us. Trinity opened the door with a big smile on her beautiful face. "It's nice to see you two again. Come on in." She said happily. "It's nice to see you too, Trinity." Caleb said he hellos but had to quickly depart once more to attend an important meeting with higher ups. I on the other hand got to have tea with Trinity and Stevie, who were both very happy to see me. "I've very sorry about your uncle. I wish I could have come to the viewing the other night." She said in a sympathetic tone. "It's alright. I know you had to watch of your children instead." I replied with a small smile.

I ended up telling them about the hollowgast and how I managed to control the beast with my mind. Stevie seemed to think that was very cool and helpful if there were to be any more hollows lurking around. I agreed to that, but made sure to mention that I wasn't entirely sure if I could control hollows like I had done yesterday. A huge part of me felt like I just got lucky. After tea, I ended up playing with Elijah and Jasmine in the back yard for a while. The back yard was really something beautiful to look at. There were millions of flowers growing of various different varieties, and figured Elijah was to blame. He is a seed sprout after all. "Where's Dr. Kreizler?" I asked curiously after a few moments of silence. "He's at the institute." He replied. "Oh." I replied, and I think I might have given away my disappointment in the tone of my voice. "I could take you there if you wanna see him. I'm sure he'd be delighted by a little surprised visit from you." He said with a small smile on his face.

"Well... only if I won't be interrupting him..." I said, trailing off awkwardly. "Let me just go and tell Trinity where we're going. That way she won't panic if she looks outside and we ain't there." He said as he got to his feet and headed inside. I wiped sweat from my brow and wondered how my friends stood this summer heat. I wasn't sure what month this loop was made, but it had to at least be the last part of July or the middle of August. 'They've probably just gotten use to the weather from living with it for so long.' I thought inside of my head as I waited on Stevie to return. When he came back outside, Trinity was behind him and called for her children. Elijah and Jasmine scurried over to her before she told us to be careful on our trip to the institute. I climbed into the carriage and Stevie urged Frederick, one of their horses, to move forward.