Chapter Seventeen | Breaking Point

Jade's POV:

Weeks and weeks of training had gone by. Each week seemed to make me more tired than the last. Mostly because Miss Peregrine had transferred a hollow to Jacob Portman's home that we could use during my sessions with him. The more I tried to exercise my peculiar ability the weaker I felt, and I had a feeling that everyone else was starting to notice. "You need to relax, Jade. You have dark circles under eyes that make mine look nonexistent." Dr. Kreizler said. We had finished eating dinner and I insisted on staying up to listen to Cyrus play the piano. But my eyelids were beginning to feel heavy and I started to lean again the doctor a little. "He's right." Caleb said with a look of sympathy on his face. "What does Jacob have you doing during your training days anyway? From what I can see it's only making you weaker." Stevie said. The young man made it clear that he didn't trust Jacob a while ago.

Given what he had gone through in his life, he didn't seem like the type to trust easily. Especially when people he didn't trust brought strangers into his home and around his family. "I hate to admit it, but I'm starting to agree with Stevie. Ever since Miss Peregrine started taking her to see him, Jade has been more tired than I've ever seen her." John chipped in. The others exchanged looks that suggest long in depth conversations that were being discussed while I wasn't around. I could only imagine what they were about, but I didn't even have the energy to do that to be completely honest. "What is Miss Peregrine making Jacob teach you, Jade?" Dr. Kreizler asked with a mix of emotions in his beautiful brown eyes. "Well... they haven't told me that I'm not allowed to tell you guys what has been going on during my sessions. But...." I said, trailing off a bit. "But what?" Caleb asked. "They have another hollow. Apparently he is Jacob's hollow; one he has strong control of. Miss Peregrine wants Jacob to help me exercise my mental manipulation of hollowgasts." I said.

"No wonder you're so tired. Using so much mental energy can make someone feel drained." Sara said with a sympathetic look in her eyes. Stevie and John voiced their now somewhat shared opinions on the two new comers into our ranks. Everyone else just looked concerned, but there were other emotions I couldn't decipher. A few moments passed before Dr. Kreizler told me to follow him and I did as instructed. Something I've been doing a lot of lately. I hadn't even noticed that we had entered the my bedroom until the door closed behind us. "What are we doing in here for?" I asked. He told me to go ahead and change into my pajamas before turning his back so I could do so. Every part of my body felt heavy due to how tired I was. I didn't think I was going to get changed without falling down or something, but I managed it. Then I followed him to his room, which made me a little uncomfortable.

I never seen his room before, but it was truly him in every way. The dark green curtains were open as well as the window. It let in a nice little cool breeze that always seemed to blow through the windows at night. Then I noticed his big four poster bed that had a several pillows positioned where you'd lay your head. "Come here, you need rest and you need a comfortable bed to get the rest you desperately need." He said as he pulled down the covers to reveal the clean crisp sheets. I hesitated for a little bit before climbing I to bed... Dr. Kreizler's bed. When I was comfortable he placed the covers over my body and started to leave the room, but I quickly grabbed his hand before he could go. "Stay?" I said in a questioning tone. It made me feel like a child, but a small smile graced his handsome face briefly before he switched off the lights. The only thing lighting the room was the silvery moonlight filtering through the lace curtain that still covered the window from prying eyes.

He carefully laid down on top of the covers next to me. I moved as close to him as possible and nuzzled into him, which caused a soft yet rich chuckle to vibrate his chest. It made my insides feel so warm and I felt so safe with him. The combination of his rhythmic breathing and beating heart caused me to slowly drift off into a deep sleep. 'Another day of training.' I thought inside of my head as I walked out into Jacob's back yard. That strange tugging/aching sensation in my stomach was constantly present, especially since there was a hollow near us. I was a little nervous even though Miss. Peregrine had assured me that if anything went wrong Jacob would be there to help; He had a good mental grasp on the monster after all. "Alright, let's get started. Try to make him move his limbs a little like we've been practising." Jacob said in a kind tone of voice. I took a deep breath and tried to press all of my thoughts to the back of my mind.