Chapter Twenty One | A Trap

Jade's POV:

The four of us sat silently in the car trying to think of what we were going to do. I didn't see how we were going to get out of this without anyone getting hurt. "We'll just have to go in there and hope one of you are able to control the hollowgast, so it doesn't kill us." Miss Peregrine said. "No pressure or anything." Caleb said sarcastically. I glanced at Jacob, who gave me an encouraging look. Miss Peregrine was right though. We didn't really have any other choice but to go inside and hope for the best. There wasn't a doubt in my mind that they were holding the yembrynes hostage. 'But what for, and why?' I wondered as we got out of the car. Each of us shut our doors as quietly as possible. The only sound was coming from our footsteps in the gravel driveway. Miss Peregrine went first and used the bird shaped knocker that was on door. A few moments passed before someone eventually opened it to let us in. "Good evening, Miss Avocet. I'm deeply sorry that we are late." She said to the older woman who stood in front of us. Miss Avocet had on a deep blue colored dress that made her almost purely white hair stand out. There was fear in her blue colored eyes. I couldn't help but feel sorry for her and everyone else in that house. My anxiety felt like it was going to kill me, but I knew I had to try and stay calm. Otherwise this would be a disaster.

'Just do what Dr. Kreizler told you to do to help you relax.' I said inside of my head as Miss Avocet lead us into the house, locking the door behind us. The whole time I noticed we were walking in the direction of where my inner hollow detectors were pointing. The older lady opened large double doors that lead into a huge dinning room. My nerves spiked a little when I seen what was inside. Around the big dinning table were several yembrynes, most of which looked just as old as Miss Avocet. But there were a couple of younger ones present amongst them. "Ah, what a pleasure to meet you all again, especially you... Miss Summers." A sickly family voice filled my ears. My eyes landed on Lacy, with her pale skin and blood red lips. Her and half of the silver birds that were at Alfius's funeral were present. 'Traitors!' I thought. "As you can see we've all been waiting for you." She said with a infuriating smirk on her face. "What do you want? How could you betray us like this and side with the wights?" Miss Peregrine said. There was anger and hint of disbelief in her voice. "That's simple my dear naive Alma Peregrine. They offered me power, something you and the council of yembrynes never wanted me to achieve. Year by year I watched others less qualified than me advance their careers; I finally had enough!" Lacy replied with a crazed look in her eyes.

While the two of them talked I allowed myself to calm down as much as I could. It was quite difficult since there was a great deal of pressure on me. But I knew it would be easier to penetrate this particular hollow's mind, because I had done it once before. Jacob told me that it's a lot easier to penetrate a hollow's mind after you've done it before. Apparently there's less resistance for some reason. So I took a few deep breaths before attempting to communicate with the hollow in hollow speak. I failed a couple of times, but eventually I managed to speak the creatures own language. I didn't even have to do it verbally, which was a plus. If the other's had heard me they would have taken measures to stop me. There was chains around the hollow's neck and one of the ex silver birds members was holding it like a leash. So I told the hollow to unlock it with its tentacles. It took a few moments, but the beast was successful; I made sure to tell it to let the chains down carefully on the floor so no one heard them. Everyone was so focused on Lacy's little power speech to even take notice. Just to make sure I had full control I made the hollow do some little moves that were simple. And then I felt the click.

It was like my brain and its brain were one. So much so that when I reached up to scratch my face it did the same thing. A few more minutes passed. I wasn't entirely sure when I should let the hollow go crazy on our enemies. "Now." Jacob whispered so I was the only one to hear him. The hollow everything I told it to do. It wrapped a strong tentacle around each of their necks as delicately as possible, so they wouldn't feel it. I was surprised none of them knew the hollow was doing something, especially since the stench of its mouth was so overpowering in a closed room like this. On the could of three the hollow lifted them up into the air, rendering them somewhat useless. "RUN! GET OUT WHILE YOU CAN!! MAKE SURE THEY'RE SAFELY OUTSIDE!!" Jacob yelled ordered to Miss Peregrine and Caleb. Each of them hurried the other yembrynes outside and onto the front lawn as quickly as they could. Just as the last of them left, one of the wights grabbed their gun and shot at the hollow. It did little to no damage to the beast, but I made sure he quickly knocked the weapon out of the wight's hand. Jacob ran to retrieve it and pointed it at Lacy, who seemed to be the leader of the group.