Ephemeral

/ɪˈfɛm(ə)r(ə)l,ɪˈfiːm(ə)r(ə)l/ adjective. Lasting for a very short period of time

For the past few days, she remained away, however she continued showing up in my dreams at night so I asked her.

"Where are you in the mornings?"

"Binabantayan ko yung sarili ko sa ospital" she answered nonchalantly. We were supposed to visit her body last Saturday but because of the shoot I did not manage to.

"Hindi ba pwedeng samahan mo nalang ako ulit?" I sound stupid. Tunog walang backbone but that's me right now. Without her I feel restless. I felt like there's so much more on what happened last Saturday.

"Nagsecelebrity life detox ako. Saka na lang" she gave me a cheeky grin. Celebrity life...

"Kelan ka sasama sakin ulit?"

"Pag tapos na yung wattpad series niyo"

"But that will take at least couple of months"

"Relax, hindi naman kita iiwan, nasa ospital lang ako. Saka wag kang mag alala, may Anthony radar ako. Kapag hindi ka okay, nararamdaman ko"

"Sinasabi mo lang ba yan to make me feel better"

"Siguro pero hindi ako nagsisinungaling. Saka nagpromise nga ako diba? Kahit anong mangyari dito lang ako"

"What if I cancel all my plans today? What if I spent my entire day in the hospital guarding you? Magbabago ba isip mo?" Mukang napaisip yata siya.

"Bakit mo naman gagawin yon?" She asked.

"Because it's you"

"Alam mo yang mga sagot mo masyadong pafall"

"No one is stopping you to fall. Sasaluhin naman kita kung sakali"

I saw her squint.

"Fine fine"

"So sasama ka na ulit sa shoots ko?"

"Kung ipapromise mo na maglalaan ka ng araw para sakin once a week. Pag nasa shoot mo kase ko parang wala naman."

"Cross my heart. Once a week and no, when you are there I feel so much confident and relax. Your presence makes a huge difference."

"Deal"

"Deal"

So as promised, I asked mum to block my sched today with a trade na I will work harder and I will obediently follow her request. I also discussed about my 'me' time, then I brought up my depression. I told her that it is important for me to have a one day breather so she said yes. That's meant to be every Saturday from on.

And so because mum let me have an off today, binitbit ko si Normy sa hospital but unlike what was expected I found Abby's room empty.

Kapwa kumunot ang noo namin ni Normy. When I asked around, they said that she's gone. Her mum is in her wake today. Nagpaalam na daw si Abby noong sabado.

One of the nurses says she's a strong and bubbly kid. May sakit daw ito pero palaging nakangiti at palaging may baong tito jokes.

Normy teared up a little bit while I was deep in thoughts. Wala talagang makapagsasabi kung kaylan ang panahon natin. Had I visited last Saturday I should have seen her before her last breath.

I was lost in my own thoughts when suddenly somebody cold hold my wrist.

"Kuya" I swiftly turned only to see Abby.

"Abby" she motioned to shush.

"Hindi kita nakita noong sabado kaya sabi ko sa angel magbababye muna ko sa'yo." Normy smiled a bit.

lumuhod ako to match her height pero pinatayo niya ko saka dumiretso kami sa hospital garden.

"Gusto ko lang sanang sabihin na wag kang malungkot at saka...sabi ko dun sa angel noong nakita ko siya sa tabi ni ate last Saturday ako nalang ang kunin niya wag na si ate ganda."

Nanlaki ang mata namin ni Normy.

"Abby bakit mo ginawa yon?!" Tanong ni Normy.

"Kase ate masaya si kuya Anthony pag andyan ka saka ayoko lang sabihin kay mummy pero hirap na hirap na ko. Ayoko lang na makita siyang umiyak kaya I always pretend I am not feeling the pain" these words are coming from a 6 yeas old girl. She is a wise kid beyond her years.

"Sabi nung angel, mabait daw ako kaya papayag siya. Sa heaven daw wala ng needles saka blood test. Tapos sa heaven daw I can watch over the two of you" this kid made me tear up. It made me want to hug her.

"Kuya make sure you take care of ate ha? Ikaw yung prince charming niya. Isang oras ko ding kinulit yung angel. Pano ba yan mauuna na ko. Ikikiss ko muna si mummy bago daw ako gawing ash" instead of us giving Abby a hug, she gave us a tight and comforting one. After that she disappeared in thin air.

"Ang strong ni Abby. Kahit sa dulo she comforted everyone"

"Why didn't you tell me?" Tanong ko.

"Kase hindi ko nakita yan at hindi ko alam. Noong Sabado para kong natulog ng mahaba. Pakiramdam ko hinigop ako pabalik sa katawan ko tapos blangko na lahat. Noong nagising ako nasa tabi mo na ko ulit"

I remained quiet while looking at Normy. I still can't process the fact that last Saturday could have been the last day I will ever see her. I cleared my throat and look at her in the eye.

"She protected you. Abby deserves to rest. She fought a good fight and in the process of it I am glad she saved you"

Normy hold my hand tight.

"I am more than grateful Anthony. Ayokong iwan ka"

Life is ephemeral but I want to spend the rest of it with her by my side.

Later that day we asked for the address where Abby's wake is being held. Upon arriving there, I went straight to her mum who's staring at the coffin blankly. I even forgot to take off my cap. I gave her a tight hug without realising I am sobbing.

"Tita she says she will be all right. She will be in heaven." Her mum cried so loud that she started shaking.

"Abby, anak" are the only words that she keeps on saying. I saw Abby sitting next to her. She gave me a smile of approval.

"Kuya pwede bang bantayan mo din si mummy?" So I nod and mouthed 'I will'

We were all asked to head to the crematorium. I found out that Abby's mum is a single mum, pretty much like my mum. Wala silang ibang kamag anak kaya sa halip na lumayo, Normy and I remained on her side holding her because she looks like she will collapse.

The people who attend are nurses and doctors that are friends with Tita Maricel, Abby's mum but most of them are from departments that were touched by Abby's life.

They said Abby is a kind hearted kid. At a young age she is selfless, responsible and God fearing. Anything a parent can ask for but today she will join the angels in heaven.

When the started cremating I saw Abby wave one final goodbye.

"Kuya pakisabi kay mummy, I saved up money for her new glasses. Pinagtatyagaan niya kase yung salamin nyang mas mababa ang grado kaysa sa talagang grado niya. Naka ipit yun sa colouring book ko. Please tell her that I love her and I will watch over her in heaven" so I did.

Her mum shouted her name for one last time. Normy rubs tita's back. Hindi ko na maiwasang maiyak din.

A small kid manage to touch grown up lives in an unimaginable way.

"Well done Abby, rest now. As promise I will always look after your mum as a gratitude of what you did. I love you"

If I have a little sister and if next life exist, I hope it's Abby.

On the brightest and sunniest day of the month, a heavy rain started to fall outside as if the heavens is mourning with us.