20

"Tobi! Manny! How is she?" You could tell from miles away that their faces were covered in guilt and panic.

"Still no news but they won't tell us anything because we aren't immediate family."

"Simon and Chloe? I'm the doctor monitoring your daughters recovery, she's strong for her age." What is it with doctor's taking their sweet ass time today? "Your daughter is in an induced coma, at her current reaction to the events she should survive although I am not able to promise anything. You can go and see her now, I recommend talking to her as it can encourage recovery and although there will be no physical reactions she can hear you."

"Thank you." I grabbed onto Simons hand and squeezed it tightly,  there was a tightening in my chest.

"Chlo, I need you to focus on me." He directs me to the wall and I slip down, reaching the floor and bringing my knees to my chest.

"Si, what if, what if she? I can't lose her. Not Ache."

"Listen to me, Chlo, copy my breathing." I tried to copy his breathing, I couldn't. No matter how hard I tried to copy it my mind was a blur and there was no making sense of anything.

"Can't... copy. Can't breathe. Need Ache."

"If Ache is anything like you she'll be perfectly fine. Remember when this happened to you. You were in hospital for ages and I came to see you everyday, usually instead of school. After the first year they all lost hope, their visits became irregular and I was one of the only ones who came to visit. I'm gonna be here the whole time, just like I was with you." My breathing had somewhat calmed but had still not returned to normal. "Find something to focus on. You need to find an anchor."

There was only one thing that could keep me sane if I were to focus on it. Simon. I kiss Simon, my breathing slowing down almost immediately. When I'm back into a stable state I look up at Simon and smile, "You. You're my anchor."

30/03/20