40 (Final Chapter)

"Hello, I'm calling to ask about a recent DNA test my daughter had." It had been a week of practically hiding from Simon which was hell. I had gone to a clinic with Nick and Ache to get DNA samples so I knew the truth.

"Can we have a name of both yourself and your daughter?"

"Chloe Adams and Achelois Minter."

"Ah yes, the results are not ready until later today. Would you like to receive the results over the phone or in person?" What do I do about Simon? Do I tell him before I get the results or after?

"Over the phone is alright. Will it be a call or a message?"

"It'll be a message. We hope you get the results you wish for." God knows what I'd do if Achelois wasn't Simons. Would I even tell him? It would break him. Break us.

"Thank you."

———

"JJ? I really need to speak to someone, can I come over?" Tobi was ghosting and I really needed someone to talk to, I knew if I didn't I'd spiral.

"Of course, bring Bodhi with you. I miss his fat face."

"Keep calling him fat and you'll be his least favourite uncle." I put the phone down before putting Bodhi in his chair and telling Simon I was taking him with me on a quick drive around just to get some air.

Simon knew something was wrong, it was obvious. You could tell by the face he made whenever I made up another excuse as to why I couldn't watch Bee Movie with him and Ache or why I couldn't go with them to the park after school.

I was crumbling.

———

As I pulled up to the house, my mood somewhat better after talking to JJ about everything, I saw Simon was sat at the table staring off into the distance.

I called through to him as I stepped back into the house but there was no reply or movement at all.

"Hey, you ok?" As soon as I got into the dining room I saw what the issue was. I had left my phone here while at JJ's.

Simon had seen the results.

"Who?"

"Let me explain please. I should've told you when I found out but please, give me a chance to tell you before anything else." He didn't say anything. "The day we were leaving the hospital with Bodhi, Nick called. He said we'd slept together at your party. I must have been extremely drunk because I have no recollection of it happening."

"I wanted to tell you, I really did. Nick said not to say anything until the results were back. And I know it sounds like I'm pinning the blame on Nick but it's the truth. I've distanced myself from you and it's been hell. Every time I've been alone I've broke down, even just, I had to go see JJ and explain everything to him, hoping it would make things easier for me."

"It's been killing me. And you can be mad at me all you want to be because I know I was in the wrong for keeping this from you and I'm so fucking sorry."

"I'm not mad." I look up to see Simon looking at me. "Just upset. I couldn't be mad at you anyway, remember your twelfth birthday?" I thought back to that day, smiling at the memory, we made a pact to never be mad at each other no matter what happened.

"Ice cream?" I look up, meeting Simons eyes and nod. I didn't know what the results said but I didn't care, Simon was happy and that's all that mattered to me.

"She is, by the way." Simon called out as he walked through the house to find Ache and Bodhi. "My daughter."

02/09/20
Well, this is the end. I was going to drag it on for longer but I knew I wouldn't write often because if school so I rushed it. I'm not gonna post for a while as I'm gonna finish writing a book then post chapters on a schedule.

Love you all :)