Chapter 1 ~ Coming into the Light

Christine's POV

I followed Raoul out of the living room. I just asked him nicely to please stop his drinking. I couldn't believe how mad he had gotten. We haven't even married for that long and I don't feel safe anymore. The boy I knew from when I was young was still in there. I just know it... But I have very little hopes. I raced after him and grabbed his arm.

"Raoul! Please stop this!, this isn't who you are. Where is the man I fell in love with?"
I clutched his arm harder, begging him to bring back his old self. Be the real him. I didn't realize that this was the real him. He suddenly threw me to the ground. I clutched my elbow that hit the ground. Holding back a scream.

"I am the man you married! This is me! The Vicomte De Changy!"
He came to me and I backed away in fear. I knew the boy I had known was gone. This was the real Raoul.

"Raoul, please!"
I don't know why I pleaded. Suddenly he picked me up and backed me against the wall forcefully. In a dark corner in the room. Not letting me go.

"Christine. You agreed to marry me and stay with me through whatever. I grow tired of you. I grow tired of your whining about me. If you don't like me, who I am, what I am, you can leave. Or,"
He pressed his forehead against mine so hard I winced and I could smell the alcohol he consumed on my breath. Making me inwardly gag.
"You will accept me as I am."
He suddenly pressed his lips on mine and moved himself on me. I tried pushing him off but it was no use. Suddenly I felt his hand on my jaw, as he pulled away from my lips. I could feel my jaw bone being bruised and almost broken.

"Raoul, y-you're hurting me."
I said and I saw an evil gleam in his eye.

"Oh, I'm sorry."
He suddenly moved his hand to my shoulder and squeezed it hard and harder that my jaw. I winced and moaned in pain.

"Raou, stop! You are hurting me!"

"You hurt me Christine. You hurt me, you asked me to change! If you really loved me, you wouldn't want me to change."
I then looked at him a bit shocked and disgusted at what he just said. I then realized what he said was actually true.

"Maybe I don't love you anymore." He then slapped my cheek hard. Great another bruise to my face.

"If you ever, and I mean ever say anything like that again, I will make you wish you'd chosen that-that hermit. That thing!"

"Maybe I already wish that I had...."
I mumbled under my breath.

"What did you say?"
He shook me violently I felt the bile rise to my throat.

"N-nothing."

"That's correct."
He let me me go and left the room. I slid to the ground and silently sobbed. He was right. I wished I had chosen my angel.... Oh I need to see him! Even when he hates me! I know he hates me now, but I need to know! I got up and looked at him. He was asleep in the chair. Now was my chance! I quickly go packed my things in a bag. I then slipped some lumpy pillows and such in the bed so he would think I'm asleep, just too fool him until the morning, by then... I would be never coming back. I quickly left the house and make sure everything was looked like nothing had changed.

Quickly I ran back to the Opera house. I ran to the famous double doors and came in. I rushed to my dressing room and suddenly memories hit me. I closed my eyes and let out a few tears. I slowly walked to the mirror and opened it. I smiled as it opened for me.

I walked in and closed it behind me. Walking down to the lake I rowed and saw him when the lair was in view. His elbows were on the organ and his face in his hands. I slowly docked the boat and he turned to see me.