In Case

Lisa | Prologue

"What do you mean it's over?" I asked, my voice barely above a whisper. I cursed in my mind, why do I have to sound so weak now? Out of all the days, why show my weakness now in front of the eyes that stared up at me so blankly. My hands clutched onto the hem of my shirt so tightly that I felt my nails slowly cutting through the fabric. My breathing was slowly growing heavier by each passing second of this suffocating silence.

"I'm graduating tomorrow Lisa, and I don't think I can do the long distance," she breathed out. I watched her fingers slowly brush through her dark brown hair and pinch the ends of the strands. I gaze back in her eyes that seemed to be avoiding mine. It was a habit of hers when she desperately wanted to flee. But, I just can't seem to let her go.

"So that's it then? You're just going to end those 2 years of us being together just like that?" I asked with gritted teeth. The heavy feeling in my chest was increasing to the point breathing was becoming difficult and my vision was becoming blurry. Those sharp brown eyes met mine for a mere second before dropping to the floor. She simply shrugged.

"You're really not going to say anything?" I nearly shouted. I tried to stay calm but the longer she stayed silent, the more the hurt and anger was bubbling up. But my tone seemed to have annoyed her. She swiftly lifted her eyes back up to mine and scowled.

"What else is there to say?!" It was her turn to shout. The hatred and annoyance in her tone made me feel small and worthless that I couldn't help wincing and shutting my eyes for a moment. I opened my eyes once more and glared,

"What else is there to say?! Say that you don't mean it Irene!! Say that you're lying!" I begged, tears were slipping down my cheeks and I had no strength or will to wipe them away. Irene frowned with guilt swimming in her eyes that use to stare at me with so much love,

"If I said that, I WILL be lying," she whispered, emphasizing the 'will' as if that would make anything better. "I need to be honest with you Lisa," she said, pausing for a moment and focusing her eyes back to mine. It was soft but filled with guilt. And seeing that, I knew the end of us was really near. I held in my breath, waiting for what's to come. "I fell out of love with you a while back and I just never knew how to tell you," she admitted.

I couldn't breathe, the pain was unbearable. It felt paralyzing. "W-what?" I asked in a pathetic whimper. I took a step back and placed my trembling hand on my chest as her words were slowly shredding my heart. Irene sighed,

"I just think there's too much of an age gap between us and—," I cut her off with a scoff,

"And you think I'm too young for you right?" I asked with so much anger. Irene flinched with my tone and looked down. She stayed silent. And that was my answer. I chuckle dryly and brushed my fingers through my hair in deep frustration. Everything hurts.

"Well then, thank you for wasting my time," I said, looking away from her and focusing my eyes on the floor. I clenched my hands into a fist and closed my eyes so tightly that I felt like my eyelids were going to rip and all my tears that I've been fighting back would fall.

Irene took in a sharp breath, "Lis," she whispered. Her fingers grazed my knuckles, "I'm sorry," she added carefully. With that, I immediately opened my eyes and took a wide step away from her as if she was burning my whole well being. It definitely felt like it. I scowled.

"Sorry for what? Leading me on and making it seem like you loved me the way I loved you? You lied to me!" I shouted, no longer having the strength to fight back my anger or the hurt. I continued, "Tell me Irene, was I just some experiment?! Was I some freshmen you felt bad for?!" I asked with so much pain and hatred tied to my broken voice. Irene feverishly shook her head and with pain etched in her features.