hugging

"Aren't you charming..." I muttered under my breath. I watched my best friend bitch and moan about our classmates, not letting me get a word in. I felt as good as a brick wall.

"Hajime? Hajime are you even listening?" Nagito clicked his fingers infront of my face annoyingly. I quickly swatted them away, going back to eating my lunch.

"Yeah, yeah. Souda was talking shit. Carry on." I picked up my fork to shovel a mouthful of cold leftovers into my mouth. For egg-fried rice, it wasnt too bad.

"Right! So, as I was saying..." Nagito carried on speaking to me. Frankly, I didn't particularly care for his drama. Nagito was always one to get himself involved in unnecessary amounts of other people's business. That always lead to people talking crap about him behind his back and vice versa. If I thought about it, he wasn't a particularly good person, and I often wondered if he talked about me in a negative light to his "popular" friends, but I would never really know. If I ever tried to approach them they would taunt me mercilessly.

"-and that's why Chiaki moved schools! God, Hajime, zoning out again? You're always like this nowadays!" Nagito started peeling the one orange he brought along with him for lunch. It was the only thing he ate, and it made me feel slightly piggish when I would come in with a full lunch. I guess that was one of the reasons I only brought in my leftover dinners now.

"Sorry," I mumbled, closing the lid on my half eaten lunch and shoving it into my bag. "I was thinking again, I guess."

"You always say that, but never tell me what about!" Nagito popped an orange slice into his mouth. "Anyways, wanna come to my house this evening?"

"What for-" I thought for a second, crossing my arms and leaning back against the chair. "Nevermind, sure."

The two of us had agreed to split the work on a group project we had. Obviously we weren't the only people in the group, but everyone else was too lazy and dumped it on me, the class loser. Luckily, Nagito was a decent friend behind closed doors so he agreed to split it half and half.

"God, cant wait to get home and eat properly." Nagito mumbled, placing the last orange slice onto his tongue and into his mouth. Oddly enough, he never really ate in public, but I always put it down to some anxiety disorder.

"Sure, sure."

***

I stepped up to Nagito's driveway, him unlocking the wooden gate and letting us into the garden. The house had three stories including the attic, but was large nonetheless. In the olden days, it had obviously once belonged to a man if power due to the door to the maid's quarters hidden in the walls.

I stepped inside the buding, kicking off my shoes and making my way up the stairs.

"I'll meet you in the attic, yeah?" I looked at nagito, my heavy bag (filled with stuff being used for the project) weighing down on my back. I heard him let out a hum of confirmation as he headed to the kitchen, most likely going to prepare himself food.

It didn't take me long to jog up the tqo flights of stairs, especially since the second one was a lot shorter than the first.

The roomy attic had quite a rustic feel, clean but still full of unused junk and furniture. A tiny pair of doors barely visible from behind boxes lead out onto the roof, it was a thing that apparently only Nagito had told me about, but with him I'd never know if that was a white lie. Albeit, it was fun to pretend that it was our little secret.

After about ten minutes, that including my unpacking my bag and starting on my half of the literature project, I heard Nagito rushing up the stairs in a typically childish manner. He burst through the door, closing it behind him as he approached the table that the two of us moved up there.