Chapter 10: Rainy Day Babysitters

Today was not a good day to go see Peridot. There was a heavy rainstorm happening on Earth and in Heaven. And much to the young angel's disappointment, she was stuck inside for the day.

"Do I really have to stay inside for the day, Rose?" Lapis asked her guardian as she watched the rain fall from her window.

"Yes, I can't let you go outside in this weather." Rose Quartz answered. "The storms we have here are just as bad as the ones on Earth. Besides, you don't know how to use your powers to shield yourself from the rain. And I don't want you to catch a cold in that downpour."

Lapis made a childish pouty face as she continued to stare out the window.

"Oh, I think you'll be fine going for one day without seeing this mystery person of yours." her caretaker said as if she were reading her charge's mind. "Now, I have to go out and run a few errands."

"NO!" the young angel bawled, tears starting to flood her eyes. "It's bad enough that I can't go outside for the whole day, but now I have to be home alone too?"

"Don't worry." Rose consoled her. "I'm not leaving you here by yourself. I asked a couple angels to come and watch you until I get back."

The caretaker led the younger angel to the front door where a pair of angels were waiting, who kind of looked a lot like Rose. Lapis instinctively hid behind her guardian's back in shyness.

"Lapis, these are two of my friends Joy and Rosie." Rose introduced the two guests. "Ladies, this is my charge Lapis Lazuli."

Joy had messy dark pink hair, gleaming black eyes, and glowing fair skin. She wore a glittery white dress held up by a bright pink bow and gold slippers. Her wings were tinted a flashy, vibrant pink.

Rosie had lavender colored hair that was more straight, tan skin, black eyes, and noticeably bushy eyebrows. She wore a shimmering white dress with long sleeves that showed her bare feet and a long, dark pink suede vest with fringe held by a light red sash. Her pink wings had a much softer tone.

"It's so nice to meet you, Lapis." Joy said enthusiastically.

"Greetings, fellow flower child." Rosie added coolly, making a peace sign.

As friendly as the two angels were, Lapis didn't say hi back. She just stayed behind Rose and clung to her dress.

"You'll have to forgive her." the caretaker told the two visitors. "She's very shy."

"Oh, that's fine." Joy replied, ruffling the young angel's blue hair. "Besides, she's so cute."

"Lapis, Joy and Rosie are going to be your babysitters while I'm out." Rose said to her charge.

"But I don't want you to go." Lapis squeaked.

"I won't be gone long. I promise you." her guardian reassured her. "And I know you'll warm up to these two in the meantime. Have fun."

Rose took some time to say goodbye to two babysitters before leaving and the young angel saw this as an opportunity to hide from them. The first chance she got, she made herself scarce.

"So Lapis, what should we do first?" asked Joy, only to find that Lapis was gone. "Hey, where did she go?"

"Whoa, she's like, gone with the wind." Rosie commented.

"Oh, I get it." the perky babysitter said. "You want to play hide and seek. Well ready or not, here we come."

Meanwhile, Lapis had decided to hide behind some dark curtains in the den. She figured that if she stayed hidden long and quiet enough, then Joy and Rosie would leave her be until her guardian came back.