twelve

I felt like I was losing my mind

I felt like I was losing my mind. I wanted them out. I wanted him out of my house as soon as possible.

"Uncle Kookie?" It was like someone stabbed my chest the second I threw a glance behind me where the little kids looked at us with round wide eyes.

"Everything is ok. Go and play." Jungkook smiled their way as he wiped his hands on a towel. When they left his eyes drifted to me.

"What are you doing here?" I asked trying to keep my anger under control and even the tone of my voice.

He didn't answer as he stepped closer and my heart skipped a beat when he slid his palm to my forehead, my hands flew out instinctively to his chest with the intent of pushing him away.
"You still have a fever. You shouldn't stand."

"And who do you think you are to tell me what should I do?" I pushed him away acting like his touch didn't affect me.

"Everyone at uni worries about you. The teachers and the director tried to contact you."

"This doesn't justify your presence here, in my house at this hour." I cut him off and folded my arms above my chest.

"Of course I had to come to see if something happened to you. And when I found you in that condition I couldn't just leave you." Jungkook pushed the inside of his cheek with his tongue.

"You should have."

Jungkook's eyes narrowed as he watched me carefully. "Why are you like this?"

"What did you expect? To thank you? Well, I didn't ask you to take care of me in the first place."

"Why can't you accept people's help?"

"Because sooner or later they will want something in return."

Jungkook's eyes widened at my words. "Of course I won't ask anything from you. I helped you because I wanted to not because I was forced or expected something back."

"This is what all they say but I know better."

"You're impossible."He groaned.

My eyes roamed around the kitchen and fell upon the noodle soup on the stove and then upon the doughnuts on the table.
"You could have bought those not making them yourself." I traveled my eyes over his apron and cheeks. I stepped closer to him. I was so annoyed to the point where I wanted to beat the crap out of him. Why did he have to do all these? It had no sense. Why would he stress himself over such meaningless things and for a stranger? 

"How can you be so...?"

Despite the flour on his cheeks, I could still notice the faint blush under as I stared at him hard. I sighed as I pressed my chest to his and brushed the flour from his right cheek with my fingers. "I hate you, you know? Why did you have to do this? Why don't you just keep on ignoring me? You did such an amazing job until now. Be careful, you're starting to became soft."

He bit his lips as I moved my hand to fix his hair. I felt my chest warming up at his gentle gaze searching my face as I ran my fingers through his rebel strands. I started to get used to this. This sensation he brought me each time I touched him.
"Don't you dare to feel sorry for me. I don't need your pity."

He parted his lips to say something but I cut him off. "How long you've been here?"

"Three hours?" He said, not appearing to be disturbed by my touch as I kept on running my fingers through his soft brown hair. What am I doing.

"Why aren't they sleeping? It's past 2." I asked referring to his nephews who I could hear still running around the living room.

"They were too excited to help my supposed girlfriend to get better."

"Oh," My eyes fell upon his laptop on the table. "Are you working on something?" I felt the need to change the direction of our conversation.

Girlfriend. I internally laughed.

"A project I have to present today."

"What's about? You're studying internal medicine, right?" I asked as I leaned over the table to take a close look at his project.

"Yes, I have to write about mechanical ventilation," Jungkook whispered seeming surprised by the fact that I knew what he was studying. I couldn't blame him for being skeptical. I smiled. I have always made sure to make my research about anything that grabbed my attention. I must say it doesn't happen very often. The only two things that caught my attention at that moment were architecture and the Cookie guy.

If he caught my interest that didn't mean I wanted him around my house and around me with each opportunity. I ignored that nagging feeling which started to give me a hard time these last few days, each time he was around. What I was afraid the most. After all, the more we have, the more we have to lose.

"I can help you with this." I simply said as I scrolled down taking a glimpse of what he wrote until then."

"I thought you are studying  architecture."

"So? That doesn't mean I'm clueless about medicine." I raised an eyebrow offended. "I'll come back in a moment." I let him know as I headed towards the bathroom to take a quick shower.

"What are those?" Jungkook asked me after he was done putting the little kids to bed.

"Books?"

He rolled his eyes, "thanks, I had no idea."

"Here you can find anything you need," I said as I placed the pile of books on the table next to his laptop."

"Why do you have these?" He asked as he traced the title of one of them with his fingers.

"My parents are doctors." I simply said as I opened one book avoiding his powerful gaze.

"That's why they are never home? Because they work night shifts?"

"You will take a look at this one meanwhile I will underline what I think is most important from the other two, alright?" I snatched up a pencil and threw myself onto the couch.

I felt him sitting next to me. "You don't have to do this. I'm alright on my own."

"Less than five hours and you'll have to go to classes. Perhaps you're smart but it's impossible for you to finish this alone." I stated as I opened the book.

One hour later I was smiling as I threw a look beside me to see him fast asleep. His feet were tucked up underneath him while his head rested on my shoulder, the book on his lap.

My eyes roamed over his features. He seemed tired, his nephews' words coming to my mind as I sat there staring at him.
Mommy always talks about you with daddy. They say you're studying really hard so you could help our grandpa with his business.

I stood up and gently laid him down and covered him with a blanket before taking the laptop and going towards the kitchen.

It's not like I liked to sleep anyway.