chapter 1

Claire froehler left her building when the bright sun hit her face. Nothing annoyed her more than the sun. Putting her shades down on her eyes.

Walking down to her car. She looked at her phone as it beeped. No. Wasnt a boyfriend. Claire had never learned to date. She liked to keep herself busy with her patients.

And dating was the last thing on her mind. She picked up the call "hello? Yes Maria I'm coming. Gosh. It's just a little party. I don't see what your so excited about."

She shook her head smiling down on her phone. Her best friend and one of the best lawyer in town was one too many things people would call extra.

Making a u-turn she heads to Maria. Today of all days, Was the girls day. A break from daily life.

_________________

Mark hill took a sip of his string coffee as he stared down as the CCTV footage he had been grounding over for an hour or two.

"The lieutenant has called you to his office" said his new partner. Ainsley daniels.

Jotting down her cup of coffee and putting yo her feet on Mark's table. Mark grunted and rolled his eyes at her.

He wasnt used to her open and way too invading personality yet. But sure he could try. He took a straight turn to the lieutenant's office.

"Sir you called?" Callahan looked up at him. 
"Yes. Sit down hill" he retorted.

Feeling weird, Mark sits down in front of Callahan. Never had callahan ever let Mark stay in his office for more over a minute.

"We found venessa mcarthur this morning. Behind her cafe, near the trash boxes"

Mark's hand fisted into a bowl. Closing his eyes, all his eyes drained any color they had had since this morning.

Venessa was one of the many people in his life who'd help him with setting his life careers straight. He'd worked with her in that cafe he found so stupid. She'd let him live. And now somewhere along the path.

He stood as a devoted detective doing his job somewhere because of her. "Fuck!" He cursed. His hand taking over to cover his mouth from any painful noise it could make.

Callahan leaned in. "We're going to the crime scene now. You are off this case hill. Go home and rest. I promise I'll give this my best."

Mark saw pure  red for not being allowed on the case. "Lieutenant, I need to be there. Please. I need to do my job. I'm sorry. But I deny you of denying me of this case" with that he got up and left.

Callahan sat there with his eyes in pain. Yes. He knew Mark wouldn't leave this. The guy had walked through a fucking bombed lane. The man had lost everything kin to a life or a family for that matter. The man was an immortal.

Callahn clucked his tongue. Remembering the time when Mark had answered the question of being an immortal.

What's the use of making it all alive if I ain't happy to be alive sir?

Callahan cursed. Fuck. He would end this.