chapter 15

Mark and Alex walked down to the sheriffs county. Sheriff Connely stood outside the office with his typical sheriff hat. His hand on his gun holster.

Marks breath hitched. This was hard. Hed been here a thousand times after their death. Sheriff connely had watched him break. Yes the old man could break a leg. But he watched Mark break and nothing else bothered Mark more.

He waved his hand to the sheriff. At first what the sheriff did was stare more. But he suddenly realised and pulled Mark in a hug.

"Been a loong time mate. Welcome back to hudson." He stated. Mark awkwardly grunted and pulled back from the hug.

"Nice to meet you too" Mark stated. The sheriff opened his mouth to say something. When Alex spoke. "We got plenty of time for chit chat sheriff. Right now we're here to catch a killer. And we're assuming everything that happened in that burn house is somewhere reported here in your portfolios?"

Sheriffs face went dead serious. "All fine? I didnt knew you were back here to dig into your past Mark."

Mark hesitated. His breath already tangling up in his chest. He let out a heavy breath. "Could you help us please?" He asked.

The sheriff guided them right in as both of them sat down on a table. The sheriff took out three or four boxes and picked put tue files in them.

He slammed then on the desk. "These are the portfolios on all the victims in that burn house. Theres one more. Let me fetch it"

Marks hands started shaking. Alex looked at him. "If your not ohkay...you know i got your back. Head out. Ill read through them"

Mark clutched his hands. No. I got this. He told himself. "Ill read too. I got no option" his face void of any emotion now.

They opened the portfolios and read through them. Reading through them.

After an hour or so. Mark picked up the paper Alex had jotted down point on. He pulled it closer to his eyes to see. The victims of the fire burned house were all given fentanyl.

Mark cursed. "Who the fuck told you this Alex?" He asked. Alex looked at him. "Cause of death in all the portfolios is that. You didnt know?" He asked. Confused...picking up a portfolio and pointing his index to thr cause of death.

Mark got up. Rage revolving around in him. He ran back to his car. And sat down. "Mark. Wait up. What happened!" Alex followed him. Mark stood still in his car.

"Callahan held me back from coming here because he knew id find out my wife and my son were not burned in an accident.  They were murdered" his own voice colder than ice. Something dangerous flared in his eyes.

Alex neared him. "Would you just calm down? I dont know why he didnt tell you. But right now. I dont think your rage and despair is more than the justice of thise innocent souls"

Suddenly Marks hands balled in a fist. "Get to Callahan. Tell him that everything we need for this killer is probably related to the one who killed my fucking family..and keep Claire with you. I need to go"

Alex watched Mark get to his car and open the passengers seat. Claire was sound asleep in his hands as he gently picked her up. "Open your god damned door Alex " he growled.

Alex opened his passenger door as Mark slowly settled her down on the seat.

Sure Mark seemed like a raging beast at the moment. But Alex couldn't help notice how gently he was handling Claire. The woman hadnt even stirred a little. She was sleeping from 2 hours now.

Alex moved towards Mark. Grabbed his shoulder "i dont know where your going. And hell its none of my business. But i want you back in the precinct soon by today."