chapter 10

"We'll keep her at a foster care home until the case trials are over and she can decide who she wants to live with. Alright? Good thing shes 15. She can choose"

Claires breath had been hitched away on hearing how bonnie was gonna be taken away. She sat down. Maria gave her a sympathetic look. Sat down in front of her. Sqeezed her shoulder.

"But Maria. How will she survive that foster house all alone. She doesnt know anyone. She needs to be with me. She cant be alone. You dont get it. It will disturb her brain habits. She distort her image of a perfect life and god knows what she will do. Ill die like that " Claires own voice a bare whisper.

"You cant keep her forever. I will get you a warrant on meeting her everyday. But thats all i can do. You know you cant keep her. You know that baby"

Claire closed her eyes. "Did you tell her that? While i was in the bathroom? Trying to wash off the coffee you hurled at me?" Claires voice steeply calm now.

Maria made a guilty face. And nodded. Her hand now reaching claires. "Yes i did baby. Im sorry. But i told her. And that kid is alot tougher than you make her look Claire. You know that. She took it better than you did"

Claire shot Maria a glare. She got up. Walking to where bonnie calmly ate her hot lava cake. Claire without a word pulled her in a hug. Maria laughed lightly. Here we go with the emotional claire.

"I will miss you. And i will meet you everyday bonnie. I will make sure you dont loose your head in this. Tomorrow is the first day of the case trials. Ill probably be working then. But ill try my best to make it to the court? Ohkie? If i dont. Ill meet you every night at 9. I promise you that from my heart." Bonnie smiled calmly.

Bonnie pulled back and kissrd Claires cheek. "I know you wont let me go. Cause i wont let you. And dont bother being there at the court. Im sure Maria will handle me fine." She winked at Maria. There you go. Typical Maria to have friendly friended this kid so soon.

Claire laughed. She glanced at her watch. "I need to go now. Maria will take you. Please take care" claire got up. Not sure she was gonna watch bonnie go.

Claire sat in her car and drove straight to her clinic. Where a hell alot of other people were waiting for her to pull them out if drowning waters.

Yes it was hectic sometimes...considering claire indulged herself so much in her clients stories. She almost felt them too bad. But in the end. When they gave her a reassuring smile. It all seemed worth it.

_________________________

Mark had had a good sleep of 2 hours today. But it seemed like a mistake cause it made him wanna sleep more. Hed went by at Mr Ronalds house to check where he was. But maybe he wasnt home from the village yet.

Hed brought extra dark coffee for both his baby partner and himself. Grumpily walking in. He waves at his colleagues. Surely they were all at different cases right now. And it pissed him off his case hadnt had any changes for so long now.

When he walked into his office. He saw Callahan. Ainsely. And a half korean guy at his desk. The Korean guy was something new now. Who the fuck was he.

Mark gave all of them a confused look. Callahan spoke. "Come on in. We were waiting for you" feeling utterly weird. He took his leather jacket out. "Did i do something?"

Callahan walked towards him. "Hill. Meet Alex jin Jeong. His our newest recruit. They've sent him to train him. I assign you to his training. " Mark looked at the korean guy. He wasnt entirely korean. Mark could notice the American chiseled looks he had.

His skin white as ice. His eyes. A dead brown. His stare probably looked as though coming from a dead man. Mark sobered up.

Wih all his male bravado. Mark shook his hands. "Why now?" He asked Callahan. Callahan laughed. "I knew you were gonna ask"

Callahan told Mark. "Ainsely is being sent off to Chicago. Some of her family work business is down. And we're lucky just when about a very capable detective had to be sent away to chicago. Alex was promoted from narcotics. Hes done pretty good. Now we need to train him in homicide. And despite all the other detectives there. You know id pick all over again even in another life "

Mark grunted. "I was just starting to get used to Ainsely." He looked sideways at Alex. Who seemed not at all moved by anything. Wow. A dead man to be trained. Great. Life got better.

Ainsely came and hugged Mark. "Dont bother. He seems reckless. Just keep him close. And ill be back in no time." She whispered in his ear kissed his cheek and then waddled off.

Before Mark could turn around and ask ainsely to be careful. The delivery boy bumped into Mark.

The delivery boy was jittery and he mumbled a sorry right away. He looked up at Mark. "Mail for Mark willaim hills"

The delivery boy handed a rather heavy box to Mark. And Took off.

Mark looked down at the box. As Callahan walked off to his own office.

Alex stood still as though waiting for an order from Mark.

Mark looked at him. "Make yourself free man. Im not gonna order you around. Just look at what Ainsley has left off at and you can settle down in my office. Right at that table". Alex nodded in a cold graze.

Sat down at his table. Who the hell from which corner of this world would send him a package. Only a few ever knew his middle name. Feeling oddly strange.

Mark took the golden lace off the package. Staring at the box now. He pulled the note stuck on its ribbon.

To Mark william hills. Its been a long time my man. Been a long time. I hope you keep my present safe.

Ps: make sure people you meet are safe

Pissed off at such a vague note. Mark grunted. Who was this from? No one in his entire life had called him my man. Maybe except one man. Who was kin to brother for Mark.

The only best man in Marks life. Who was now living his best life probably at a honeymoon in Paris.

Could Noah had sent Mark this package? It had been a year since they had parted ways. Mark had lost his everything and chose staying and working his ass off. And Noah. Hed chosen the love of his life with swift resignation letter to Callahan.

To old days. They were the best. Stupid brat Noah must have sent something that could throw Mark off. Not able to help his laugh. He eagerly picked up the boxes lid.

Dropping the boxes lid at utter shock. Mark cursed. "What the fucking hell"

He stared at what lay inside the box. Hearing a rather different curse. He looked up at Alex. Who closely now bent down to look into the box. "Is that a...?"

Alex muttered as Mark nodded in a yes. "Yes buddy. That is what we're looking at."

Both the men still not able to believe their eyes. For there layed a pale bloodied hand in the box. Ruthlessly cut from the wrist.