chapter 2

Claire danced to the beat that played off in the party. She always wanted to be that one girl who wanted to loose herself in the parties. But she wasnt them.

Frowning. She walked past the crowd to get to the balcony. Fuck. She couldn't force herself to focus on the party anymore. Chugging her drink. She put a hand through her hair.

"Cant take the heat?" Maria walked in. Making claire smile. Yes. Maria was a perfect party sass mouth. But she never backed off to be there for Claire.

"I'm actually way more than just the heat my love" they both laughed slightly. Their attention suddenly taken away from their clouds of happiness. For they could recognize a police cars siren.

Claire peeped down through the balcony. "What the hell was that?"

Maria shot back. "The police. Why are they here?" They kept peeping. Maria grabbed Claire's hand. Pulling her down the stairs.

"Maria honey I really do not want to be a part of this" claire broke words out while speeding down the stairs. Maria wasnt even sure listening to her. Claire rolled her eyes.

Her heart unsettling. She pulled her hand out from Maria's grasp. Watching Maria go to the cops car. Putting a hand through her wild curls. Claire cursed.

"Maria! We're late. Let's go." She walked down to Maria who was now very much engaged with the two detectives. What the fuck. Maria turned around to call claire.

Claire wiped the tension off her face and put on her cool composed self. "What's going on here detectives. Something wrong with this cafe?"

The detective with blue green eyes. Walked towards her. Claire couldn't help but notice the scar right under his eye. The green eyes too captivating. Claire looked sideways. Making sure she didn't meet em.

"Ma'am do you know the owner of this cafe?" He asked her. Pulling out a picture of venessa. Claire's heart squeezed. Panic taking over her. Not yet claire. Do not lose it. Hold on. She told herself.

"We've been visiting the cafe after our work hours. We talked to her. More like knew her as the cafe's venessa" she heard her voice tremble.

The detective seemed to write down things on a notepad now. He looked around. "You see anything weird here ma'am?" He asked her. His intense eyes studying the trembles claire was trying hard to hide.

"We were across this road. In that building. We barely know anything detective. I'd be sure to help if I know anything or if I can be of any help. This is My card. I'm available on calls only its important enough to pass through my receptionist. Feel free to call for help. Now please excuse me. I cant stay longer in this"

She backed off. Finding it uneasy how the detective had only watched her all the while she blabbered about her receptionist.

Anger bubbling up in her. Managing to not take her eyes towards the body on The street near the trash bins, now covered with do not cross tapes all over.

"Maria! That's enough. I'm leaving. I cant stay here" she walked past where Maria talked to another detective. A woman. Blonde hair.

Maria called out to claire. "Could you wait up! I was trying to help. For fucks sake don't be such a pussy. Atleast try to give em shit that can help catch the bastard who did this to venessa!"

Claire stopped in her tracks "you think I was flirting with detective green eyes there?! I helped as much as I could. But I know better than to get too involved Maria. Just go. I need to leave.."

"Let me atleast drop you off. Stop being a bitch" Maria grabbed Claire's bag.

"Maria please. Let me go. I'll walk myself. You still probably wanna help. I have clients to attend tomorrow. You don't. I cant get involved in this shit for my clients  they need me. Don't worry I'm fine."

Maria put her hands on her hips. Cursing under her breath.

Claire walked down the road where the city seemed to fall on her. Quiet everywhere. And pretty city lights. Venessa was dead. Claire's hands clenched.

She was used to hearing shit about the world. Hell shed pulled people out from this hell hole they called the world. But today was the first time she was anywhere near death. She was a coward. She disliked anything that deserved to live dying.

Tiny raindrop started falling down Claire's face when she cursed. She took her heels out and started to run towards any place that could save her from the rain. Fuck.

She shouldn't have gotten mad at Maria
But she was. And she couldn't possibly do much about her spunky mood swings.

_______________

Mark departed ways with ainsley. The body was taken away finally. After what seemed hours. He was gonna find the bastard who did this.

Clutching tightly over his steering wheel. So tight his knuckles went white. He hit the steering wheel. Fuck. Why was this happening. 

Looking at venessas body. Lying down there. Mark had almost lost it. He knew one look at that body and his nightmares were gonna get worse. Panic had shot through him after the minute hed seen venessas fragile body there.

But it had seemed to go somewhere for a resting phase when hed seen that long brunette. He pulled her card out. Dr claire froehler. Doctor of psychology (Psy.D)

So she was a shrink. Hed be damned. Now he knew why she was so scared of being there. A shrink only ever heard. Never saw.

Something was very intriguing about her. And yet Mark knew he wanted nothing to do with any woman at the moment.

Mark's eyes fell on the street. Under the Apollo's shop was standing the claire froehler indeed. Speak of the devil. Muttered mark under his breath.

His eyes read her posture. Her arms folded. Probably to keep away from letting the cold air hit her. Her high black pumps in her hands. The black dress hitting every curve of her body.

Mark hated playing super hero to the rescue. But he noticed he ended up being one everytime before he even thought of it.

Mark's took a soft turn towards the Apollo pharmacy in his SUV. He pulled his glass down. "Dr froehler. Get in"

He called out to her. She looked confused at first. Walking towards his SUV. She gave  a faint smile. "Thank you so much detective..." she planted herself on the seat. Shutting the door with a loud thud.

"Detective hill. You can call me Mark " he said. He started driving and looked at his right to see she was too busy squeezing out water from her damp long pretty brunette hair. He silently let her do it.

After what seemed like forever  she spoke. "Where are we going? You didnt even ask me where my house is" Mark grunted to that. "I was waiting for you to get over with you squeezing hair session Dr"

She laughed. So loud her warmthness seemed to fill the aura of his car. Wow. She was a strong personality to come over with. Mark did not like it.  He switched on the heater.

"Where to?" He asked quietly. Making sure he didnt focus too much on her. For she seemed to over power Mark's thoughts just too soon. He looked at her.

"Uhm. Fifth Avenue, right down the lane" she said. Looking through her bag. Making sure her phone was safe.

"You know for a Dr. You sure look something else tonight " the words left Mark's mouth before he could sue his own mouth.

"Excuse me?" She came at him. " I'm off work detective hill. I think I can do whatever I'd like"

"My bad" Mark replied. Without wanting to initiate  a talk with a woman as strongly portraying as claire froehler.

Niw was probably not the time to focus on woman like her.  Venessa was dead. And the night was coming forth at him. He had too much shit to worry about.

______________