5

Winter arrived and Avonlea was covered in beautiful white snow.

it was freezing cold outside, but you didn't mind. you always loved winter.

Gilbert stopped going to school so he could be closer to his father, in case something happened.

you visited every day after school. you'd cheer him up and just talk to him and John.

you'd known John all your life so seeing him so sick made you sad, but you felt like you needed to be strong for Gilbert.

your parents and brother visited alot too since they were friends with John.

your mother would make dinner for Gilbert and his father and sometimes she'd allow you to stay over so you could be there for Gilbert whenever he got sad or scared. which happened alot.

he'd just cry in your arms loving the warmth you gave him.

you were really glad that Gilbert was able to show you his feelings. that he wouldn't try to hide them around you. he knew he could be himself around you and you would never judge him.

only he still didn't know what to do about his feelings for you.

"Gilbert" you smiled as he opened his front door.

"hey" he said wrapping his arms around you. his eyes were puffy and his hair was messy.

"are you staying over?" he asked taking in your scent.

you pulled away. "if you want me to" you said squeezing his hand. "how's John" you asked.

"he's asleep right now" Gilbert said clenching his jaw. "I'll put on some tea" he said.

you nodded. "you wanna go for a walk?" you ask.

Gilbert nodded. "I could use some fresh air" Gilbert said chuckling softly. he handed you cup of tea and you both sat down.

"where's Mrs. Kincannon?" you asked taking a sip.

"with my father" he said. you nodded as you took another sip.

you didn't know what to say. Gilbert looked so broken and it hurt you. you needed to cheer him up.

you both finished your tea in silence. "let's go" you said standing up.

Gilbert nodded with a smile.

you put on your coat and Gilbert told Mrs. Kincannon he was going for a walk.

"I haven't taken a walk in days... I only come outside to chop wood" Gilbert said putting on his coat as well.

"well good thing I'm here then" you said smiling.

you grabbed his arm and dragged him outside. it was cold and your cheeks turned pink immediately.

"it's freezing" you said as you rubbed your hands together.

"it's Canada" Gilbert said chuckling.

you grabbed some snow from the ground when Gilbert wasn't looking. you grabbed his coat by his neck and threw the snow behind his shirt grinning like a fool.

"Oh my god! Y/n!" Gilbert yelled as he shivered.

you bursted out in laughter. "that was for tickling me and pushing me into the bushes!" you yelled.

"that was weeks ago!" Gilbert yelled as he tried to get the snow out of his shirt.

"I told you were gonna regret it" you said smirking.