Chapter 18

-Alex's Perspective-

(*asterisks* equal italics)

   "I can." Herc volunteers. "Remember, you don't have to kiss anyone on the lips if you don't want to." He spins the bottle, and despite Alex's slight terror, he tries to take a deep breath. And then the turtle gods decided that he should go first. He watches, frozen, as the bottle points to him. He doesn't dare look at Herc. *Oh shit, I'm about to die. I'm sorry, Freckles. I would tell you I like you, but I'm not sure if you like me, so....*

   Herc laughs at the horror on Alex's face. "Relax." He takes Alex's hand and places a small, delicate kiss on the back of it before returning to his spot next to Lafayette, leaving Alex extremely flustered and confused and *wha-?* Alex feels his cheeks growing warm as he just stares at his hand.

   "Don't go getting any ideas, mon ami. This boy is mine." Alex whips up to look at Laf as he kisses Herc on the cheek, and Herc smiles fondly at him.

   "Lafayette, I don't think you really have to worry about that." Maria winks at ALex, and he gulps. *Maria Lewis, Scary Red Lady, please be quiet...* Alex feels the urge to curl up in John's hoodie and just stay there forever, but it's his turn.

   He spins the turtle bottle, and it lands on Eliza. Alex sighs in relief. *Not ready for it to land on John yet.* He looks at Eliza, and she waves. He pushes himself off the ground, walks over to her, and places a light, gentlemanly kiss on her hand before sitting back next to John.

   Eliza spins the bottle, and it lands on Maria. She grins. "Hello, honey."

   "Hi." Maria leans in for the kiss, and Alexander politely averts his eyes. It doesn't last very long, though. By the time he looks back, Maria has spun the bottle, and it lands on John. "Ah. Johnny."

   John smiles. "Yes, Mother?" Alex bites back a laugh.

   "Come give me a kiss." John shakes his head and chuckles before standing up and walking over to her.

   "Of course, Mother." He gives her a kiss on the forehead and returns to his seat next to Alex. *He's so cute....* Alex shakes his head. *Focus, Alex. You can daydream later.*

   John spins the bottle, and Alex watches as it settles on Lafayette. "Ah. The turtle gods just want me to give my mothers kisses tonight. I suppose that means Eliza's next." He jokes, before getting up again and kissing Lafayette on the cheek. "Love you, Momfayette."

   "Love you, too, mon ami." Laf spins the bottle, and it lands on Herc. He grins wickedly. "Ooh." Alex laughs as John rolls his eyes. "Herc, amour, spin the bottle."

   "Just don't make a mess of my bedroom or scar my turtle stuffies." John mutters as Herc spins the bottle. It lands on Alex again. Once they see who it lands, Herc and Lafayette leave the main area of the apartment, leaving just the ladies, Alex, and John.

   "Well, those two are going to be gone for a bit." Maria rolls her eyes. "At least we have some class, right, Betsey?"

   "Mhm." She nods in agreement. "Anyways, Alex, spin the bottle."

   Alex does as he is told. When it points to John, his heart leaps into his throat. *You have to remember to breathe. Breathe.* The room is silent, as the ladies watch expectantly. At least, Peggy does. The other two are smiling at each other.

   Alex takes inhales and exhales, and turns to face John, who looks a little panicked to say the least. *Freckles, feel free to back away at any time...* Alex put his hands on John's waist, remembering that he has a thing about people touching his hair and leans in, closing his eyes as his lips meet John's. He almost pulls away when John kisses back, but he keeps kissing instead, until finally, they have to break off for air.

   *I JUST KISSED FRECKLES!!!* That's literally the only Alex can process, and he sneaks a peek at John. His face is bright red, but he's smiling. As soon as John feels Alex looking at him, he buries his face in Alex's shoulder, embarrassed. Alex is just full-on grinning.

   At that moment, Herc and Laf come back into the room, slightly disheveled. Herc takes one look at all of them and says, "Goddamnit. We missed it."

   Lafayette realizes what Herc means, and his face falls. "No. Phooey."

   John just shakes his head, his face still pressing against Alex's arm, and Alex laughs.

   "John, it's your turn. You look awfully comfy over there, but the game has to continue." Eliza teases. Alex chuckles at John's pout. *So adorable.*

   John half-heartedly reaches out and spins the water bottle, and it lands on Peggy. He marches over, kisses her on the head, and trying not to act like he's rushing, goes back to Alex and leans on him, twining his fingers in Alex's. Alex squeezes John's hand and laughs when the bottle lands on him again.

   Peggy goes over to Alex, kisses him on the cheek, and yeets back over to where she's sitting. Alex spins the bottle, and he enjoys the rest of the game, glad when the bottle eventually decides that he needs to kiss John again.