Chapter 22

-John's Perspective-

   John looks at the computer screen lit up in front of them and smiles. "Tangled?" he asks, turning to face Alex.

   "Yeah... I noticed your Rapunzel mug the last couple of times I've been over and I figured the likelihood of you relating to her character was slightly higher than it having been some sort of gag gift, especially since so many things about her character are things you've already told me..." Alex trails off, seeming almost... Bashful?

   "I love it," John tells Alex quietly before his smile grows wider. "Besides, Flynn is attractive as heck," he tells Alex teasingly.

   "And I'm not?" Alex asks, playing up the offense.

   "I mean, can you do the smolder?"

   John watches as Alex indeed does the smolder and feels his cheeks growing increasingly warm. *Fuck. That was a bad idea. Fuck.* John quickly presses play on the movie, half-burying his face in his turtle stuffie (whose name is Cordelia, in case you were wondering).

   As Flynn's voice fills the blanket fort, John snuggles into Alex's side, keeping his eyes on the screen and taking a deep breath once 'When Will My Life Begin?' starts playing. He bites his lip before deciding *Fuck it.* He starts singing enthusiastically along with Rapunzel, half-hiding behind his hair because he's not sure if he wants to see Alex's expression yet.

   When the song ends, he ignores Mother Gothel's backhanded insults and bites his lip and turning to face Alex, brushing some of his curls behind his ear.

   Alex's face shows that of surprise and shock but not in a bad way? *At least, I hope it's not in a bad way...*

   "Freckles, your voice is amazing," Alex murmurs quietly, his expression slowly melting into a soft smile. "Like, damn."

   John returns the smile, biting his lip before turning to watch the movie and almost bursting out laughing at the fight between Maximus and Flynn.

   As the movie goes on, John finds himself repeatedly thinking of different parts of his childhood and early adulthood, times where his father would undermine his sense of self and try to fit him into the mold of the straight, successful man who would have no trouble finding a wife. *Bleh.* The freedom of expressing his dreams, of letting himself grow and be himself had been invigorating, and when he had told his father no, that he had had enough of trying to be someone he wasn't, it was more difficult than anything he had ever done- it had meant leaving his siblings, his mom... *Mom. Martha, James, Mary, Henry...* But so far, it had been better for him than anything else in his life.

   He grins at the movie, jumping out of his thoughts to sing 'I Have a Dream'. And when Alex joins in, singing Flynn's parts, John turns to his boyfriend and grins widely. Alex shrugs, still singing, and John snuggles into Alex's side. *Lex, have I ever told you how grateful I am for your existence?*

   Alex doesn't answer, of course, because John didn't actually say it, but he does turn to face John. "Freckles, I think we're living in a Disney movie. Think about it. You were stuck with an awful father most of your childhood. He kept you from being yourself- the wonderful gay Flower Prince I know you to be- and kept that suppressed from the rest of the world. I crash in, running from those who want me dead- a murderous teddy bear isn't that different from an angry, white horse- and I run into you, the most beautiful person I've laid eyes on-" John blushes. "-and you aren't even fazed by my beauty. We go on adventures together and talk about our pasts and bond while being watched by Pascal cough cough Lafayette and run from the evil father and the twins who want me dead and then we get to the point that none of it really matters anymore. We get to here." Alex gently nudges John in a gesture to pay attention to the screen, where Flynn and Rapunzel are in the marketplace. "We start to honestly fall, and damn it, John, if I didn't fall hard for your freckles and your gorgeous green eyes and your beautiful curls and your rambles and that habit of yours where you bite your lip no matter what it is you're feeling." Alex pauses. "John Laurens, I like you a lot."

   On the screen, Rapunzel is about to start singing, and John feels this is the most appropriate way to respond to the emotional roller coaster of what Alex just told him. So he sings, looking into Alex's dark eyes the whole time. And when Alex sings back, the emotions welling up inside of John are indescribable, warmer and fuzzier than a cup of cocoa and richer and deeper, too. There weren't a whole lot of those feelings, not yet, but John can feel them growing.

   So when Alex leans in to kiss him, John doesn't hesitate to kiss him back, soft and long and relaxed.

   Once they pull out of the kiss, Alex continues to talk. "So, as I was saying, we're in a Disney movie." John giggles at the timing of his statement- *We just kissed, for goodness sake!*- but he tilts his head in thought.

   "But if that's the case, we haven't reached the plot twist where the villain comes back to bite us in the butt yet," he reminds Alex, who frowns at him.

   "Shhh. You're going to jinx it, Besides, Flynn escapes. and Rapunzel heals him. and everyone is fine, and they end up married and have kids to tell this as a bedtime story to. It'll be fine." Alex delicately lifts a strand of John's curls out of his face with a finger. "And if it's not, I'll be there with you. At least, I hope I will."

   John smiles and pecks him gently on the lips. "I like you a lot, too, Alexander Hamilton. And thank you."

   "Of course." As the end credits roll and John starts singing, Alex backs out of the blanket fort, placing his lion stuffie (whose name is Fabian) down on the blankets before he does so. John, curious and still singing, follows him and laughs as Alex holds out a hand to him for them to dance. He takes it and completely abandons the idea of singing because he's giggling too much. *I could get used to a life like this.*

-------------------

Small author's note: Hi! Kat here. I wrote this when I was half asleep (at 4:43 in the morning) and I was wondering how much y'all like this compared to the more dialogue-heavy chapters? Let me know! (: