Chapter 20

-Alex's Perspective-

   Alex yawns from where he's curled up next to John on the couch. He looks up at the clock and frowns. *Seriously? I've got to get home so I can get ready for work. But I'm comfy. And stuck. Why is Freckles using me as a pillow?* He looks down at his boyfriend, whose eyes are closed and expression is peaceful and content. *Adorable. But this is an issue. Hmm.*

   He tries to move, but John just reaches around his chest and keeps him there. *Okay, he's not letting go. But I really don't want to wake him up...* He slides downward, only to find John hugging his neck and snuggled into his shoulder. Alex sighs and shakes John gently.

   "Hey, hun, wake up." He watches as John frowns and shakes his head, his loose curls tickling Alex's cheek and nose. "Freckles, wake up. I need to go to work." He says, more insistently this time.

   John groans and opens his eyes. He makes a dissatisfied noise and closes his eyes again. Alex thinks he hears something like 'five more minutes'? He's not entirely sure.

   "Freckles." He kisses John on the cheek, which causes John to flinch a bit. *That worked.* John turns to look at him, cheeks slightly red.

   "Lex," he mumbles in return. ""M sleepy. Don't wanna get up. You make good pillow."

   "Do I now?" He smiles.

   "Mhm. Almost as good as turtle pillow." John mutters, still snuggled up against Alex.

   "Oh. Wow. I must be a great pillow, then." Alex laughs lightly. "But this pillow has to go to work. You have work today, don't you?"

   "Maybe. I think I got the day off, though. Not sure." John sounds slightly more awake. He still hasn't let go of Alex though. "I should check."

   "You should." Alex agrees. "Although, if you're free, maybe you could come with me to work. That would be fun." He chuckles.

   "Why?" John asks, finally pushing himself away from Alex and over to the island where his bullet journal is sitting. He flips through it. "Nope, no work today."

   "Because I have been answering all of my co-workers' questions with 'Freckles' and offering no explanation. And since I've met your family, you might as well meet mine." Alex shrugs, then clarifies. "Not my co-workers. I'm convinced half of them hate me in some shape or form. My boss."

   "You want me. To meet George Washington?" John's jaw drops and his eyes bug out just a bit.

   "Yeah. He's basically my dad." Alex says this as if it's no big deal. "He doesn't like a bunch of attention, just respect. And once he's adopted you, you're kinda stuck with him. But he's really humble. Trust me. He puts everyone around him at ease as long as you don't start fights." Alex shivers a bit. "Yeah. Don't start fights, and you're fine."

   "You look like you're talking from experience...?" John questions him.

   "Yep. Thomas takes a bit of warming up to. But he'll probably be in too much shock to interact with you. Maybe. I think. We'll see." Alex grabs whatever he brought with him last night. "Let's go?"

   "Yeah. Let me change really quick." John yeets into his room, pulls on a turtle t-shirt and some jeans that have a few paint splatters on them, and grabs his tennis shoes and some socks. "Kay. I'm ready."

~~ Time Skip (brought to you by a call for five more minutes) ~~

   Alex walks into the office, John following closely behind and taking in all of his surroundings. He notices the others watching him and John closely, Thomas electing to walk up to them.

   "Alex, who's this?" He drawls.

   "Freckles." Alex smirks, watching Thomas's face turn from smug to shocked to an expression of realization.

   "You're Freckles?" He asks John. "You're the reason Hamilton's been taking care of himself and smiling and going outside on a regular basis and, god forbid, sleeping regularly?"

   "... I guess?" John looks confused.

   Aaron pipes up. "Before Washington forced him to go outside, he did none of those things often, if at all. That's why that's so noteworthy."

   "Mm." John gives Alex a look. Alex shrugs. *I'm better now. That's all that matters.*

   "Hey, John." Angie walks over to where the three of them are standing. "How have you been?"

   "Better than usual, if you can believe it. How have you been, Angie?"

   "Pretty good. Having fun watching the other three try and figure out who or what Freckles was." Alex and Thomas just stare at them. "What? He's best friends with my little sisters. Of course I know John."

   "I guess that makes sense." Alex nods. "Now, if you guys will excuse me, I need to introduce Freckles here to someone."

   They walk off.

   "Freckles. Huh. Accurate nickname." James nods and gets back to work. Aaron does the same.

   "You knew who Freckles was?" Thomas asks Angelica.

   "Yes, although I wasn't completely sure. It did seem plausible after Peggy dumped coffee on Alex." Angie nods.

   Alex knocks on the door of George's office. "Come in." He opens the door and holds it for John, closing it behind them.

   "Hello, Sir." Alex greets Washington.

   "Hello, son. And I assume you must be the infamous Freckles I've heard so much about?" George holds his hand out for John to shake it, and he does.

   "Yes, sir." John bites his lip, a little nervous.

   "Well, it's good to finally meet you. Thank you for helping Alexander see some sort of reason. I was beginning to worry about him."

   "Of course. He looked like he needed a friend, and when a person needs a friend, you can't just let them stay alone." John shrugs. "I mean, we're more than friends now, but-" John shakes his head. "It was the least I could do."

   Alex smiles and squeezes John's hand. John squeezes back and smiles softly at his boyfriend.

   "Well, if that's the case, I assume you were successful in figuring things out, son?"

   "Mhm. Very." Alex nods.

   "Good. I'm glad I was able to help. Now, escort this young man to wherever he is currently supposed to be and get to work." George smiles at them before waving his hand in dismissal.

   "Yes, Sir." Alex leads John out with a smile on his face.