chapter 1

DELILAH VALANCE

"hey baby, what's under that dress!" a boy, assumingely a greaser, yelled.

"wouldn't you like to know!" i winked at him and strutted to my locker, packing up my bag
for the weekend.

"all the boys are obsessed with you, del. i don't understand why no boys like me." cherry whined, ushering me out of the highschool.

"sherri, you have a boyfriend." i side eyed her annoyingly as she squealed, running to bob. i
rolled my eyes and started my car, putting my sunglasses on. i drove to the DX after deciding i wanted a coke, i could really use one. it was a hot friday.

i walked into the DX and grabbed a coke and some bubblegum. the crowd of soda fangirls moved out of the way for me to get to the register, and i set my stuff on the counter.

"will this be all for today?" soda asked, obviously annoyed. i put my sunglasses on top of my head and raised my eyebrows.

"i'm not here to flirt with you, sodapop."

"thank god." he dramatically wiped a bead of sweat from his forehead and sighed in relief. i giggled and paid for my things, and then turned to the crowd.

"ladies, go find something better to do than flirt with sodapop. it's sad." i glared at them, and they hurriedly filed out of the gas station. a group of boys stared at me with wide eyes from the doorway, boys of which i recognized from school. i knew ponyboy and johnny from a night at the drive-in, and i knew dallas from, well, he was dallas.

"how'd you do that?" steve asked, his mouth wide open.

"she's the most popular soc in school, people are scared of her. most of the girls probably worship her." pony shrugged. i laughed and popped a piece of gum in my mouth, popping a bubble.

"of course you're a soc." dallas scoffed.

"what do you have against socs?" i placed my hands on my hips, leaning on the counter.

"you're a prep. rich and bitchy. you jump greasers for no reason."

"i don't jump people, i actually respect greasers. but i don't respect you, dallas winston." i popped my gum and clicked my tongue, and grabbed my coke.

"don't get wise, soc." he made a disgusted face at me and i blew him a kiss, earning an eye roll from him.

"bye soda, bye steve, bye pony, bye johnny." i waved and shot them a smile.

"what about me?" dal leaned against the counter.

"bye dallas." i flipped him off and he chuckled.

————

"delilah! are you coming to the drive in with me and marcia today?" cherry ran into my room.

"what did i tell you about knocking, cherry? i'll come with." i stood up and grabbed my bag, and walked to cherry's car.

we paid for the movie and found a seat towards the back, since bob and randy got drunk and left.

"i came to see a movie and i'm gonna see a movie!" cherry snapped at marcia. i rolled my eyes when dallas, pony, and johnny sat behind us.

"hi guys!" i turned to face them, waving at pony and johnny. next thing i knew, dallas was all up in my hair.

"are you a real redhead?" he whispered, causing shivers to spike down my spine.

"yes, now get lost hood!" i yelled.

"wow, i didn't know you had this problem with,
with yelling in my face."

"cut it out dal." johnny said.

"what'd you say to me you little shit?" he yelled at johnny.

"you heard him, stop dallas." cherry turned, flames in her eyes.

"whatever man. i'm outta here."

to my disbelief, i found myself following dallas. i followed him for a good 5 minutes before he realized i was there.

"weathers pretty nice, huh?" i smiled when he jumped, clearly scared.

"god, where did you come from?" he furrowed his eyebrows.

"the west side." i answered nonchalantly. he glared at me and shook his head, obviously unamused.

"i gotta get goin' redhead, you need me to walk you
home?" he lit a cancer stick and took a drag,
blowing the smoke in my face. i quickly swatted it away and he laughed at my desperate manner.

"i'll be fine, i wouldn't be surprised if you're gonna go do something illegal."

"i wouldn't either, doll."