chapter 3

DELILAH VALANCE

it's been almost a week since the dallas encounter, and i decided to go see the boys again. i had just gotten out of school, so it was a short drive to the DX. besides, i needed more gum anyways.

"hey there, sodapop!" i smiled, pushing passed the after school rush hour of soda fangirls. i picked up a pack of gum and slammed it on the counter, causing the chatter from behind me to stop and soda to jump. i turned on my heel and glared at the girls, causing them to leave.

"thank you, delilah. i really appreciate you making them leave." he sighed in pure relief and smiled at me.

"oh, it's not a problem soda." i returned the smile and jumped at a voice from behind me.

"how come i always come when you scare the flock away?" pony laughed. i giggled and popped a piece of gum in my mouth, popping it.

"not sure, ponyboy." i shrugged.

"i haven't seen you in awhile, only in english. where have you been?"

"i don't want to burden y'all or something, besides that cherry has kept me very busy." i rolled my eyes at the thought of my sister. i loved cherry, i really did. but she could be a real handful at times.

"you don't burden us at all, don't listen to dally. he'll come around eventually." johnny took a step closer to me and i looked down at my shoes.

"hopefully he will. i promise i'm not like some of the other socs, i won't leave you guys." i sighed, leaning against the counter.

"we know, dal just has trouble trusting people a lot. he had a rough past." pony played with his shirt and i smiled.

my smile quickly faded when my ex boyfriend, jackson, walked into the gas station.

"what are you doing with these dirty greasers, delilah?" he gagged, shoving pony and johnny out of his way.

"don't you dare touch them! they may be dirty greasers, but they're my dirty greasers! they're my friends, and you aren't. leave, jackson. i'm sick of looking at your face." i snapped. johnny and pony stared at me with wide eyes, along with dallas. i didn't know when he got here, but i didn't care.

"what the hell did you just say to me, del?" he growled. a devilish grin played my lips.

"don't call me that! and you heard me, get out of here!" i said a little louder this time, popping my gum loudly. he then smacked me, leaving a red hand print on my cheek. before i could do anything, dallas grabbed him by the collar and shoved him towards the door.

"leave, soc." he growled lowly, taking a step towards jackson. jackson immediately complied, and left in his mustang. i ran over to johnny and hugged him, as he was shaking badly. pony seemed unfazed.

"i'm so sorry you guys, are you hurt?" i asked, checking both of them. ponyboy shook his head.

"no, i'm just a little shook up." johnny shrugged. i nodded and turned to dallas.

"thanks for that." i told him, a blank expression on my face. he nodded and soda came around the counter with an ice pack and handed it to me. i held
it to my cheek, thanking him quickly, and stared at my feet. i was still hurt by what dallas had said to me, but he had to like me a little. i mean, he made jackson leave after he hit me. but it could be just because he was annoyed, or maybe because he pushed johnny and pony-

"i'm sorry about what i said to you, man. you're okay, for a soc i guess." dal bit his lip, and i smiled at his half-ass apology.

"thanks dallas. i think i'm gonna head home, it was nice seeing y'all."

they said their goodbyes and i made my way home.

————

"my gosh, what happened delilah?" my mom ushered me into our home, holding a hand to my cheek. cherry rushed over to me and pulled me into a hug. although we may have our disagreements, cherry acted as my bestfriend. we cared for each other a lot, and told each other basically everything.

"i'm okay, mother. i was hanging out with a couple of friends, and jackson hit me because he was offended i was with greasers!" i shook my head and huffed out of anger. mom rubbed my shoulder, comforting me. my family doesn't have an issue with greasers, as they shouldn't. greasers are people, too.

after a tiring 10 minutes of sympathy, i rushed into my room and laid down. though it was only around 6, i was exhausted. if it makes me a psychopath for wanting to sleep so early, so be it. i've had a long day.