XXVII. - Undead.

Cihangir looked across her shoulder, maybe for the millionth time only to see that Duke was still with his new friend, talking the night away, acting as if things were fine while in reality, everything was so messed up. She felt her chest tightening and a strong feeling of dizziness invaded her; for a moment she felt as if she was about to die. She excused herself from Tyler, who cast a worried look on her face but didn't ask any questions, probably thinking it was none of his business and she mentally thanked him. She let herself away from the crowded place that was Danse Macabre and closed her eyes, sighing at ease. She didn't know why, but her heart was pounding to her death. Suddenly, she felt tired and she wanted nothing more than to leave to her cozy room and sleep, - try to sleep.

Outside the nightclub, the atmosphere was cooler and it helped her relax. Taking few steps in the hallway, she exhaled deeply, throwing her head back then she stared at the ceiling, as if all the answers were about to pop out and every problem will magically be solved. Closing her eyes, she just let herself listen to the faint yet persistent sound of the music before taking step away, wanting to put a barrier between her and that world; a world of exquisite bright things than she couldn't possess, even if she tried.

"I heard he's single now.", a faint voice suddenly said, attracting the brunette's attention, who thought she was the only one wandering around here. Danse Macabre was located in the Black Sapphire's first floor and it occupied the whole area, thus, she didn't think someone in their right mind would leave such a great party, such handsome men to be here, on their own. But her, she had a reason.

"He is depressed.", a second feminine voice cleared up, just as Cihangir's nostrils sensed cigarette smoke. "I mean even when we get down to it, he barely reacts."

The girl who just talked was the one Cihangir caught with Duke in his room; Elka Pitts was her name and just the sight of her in that blue dress was enough to make Cihangir realize that she was the last person she wanted to see. Of course, she wasn't one to judge based on appearances, - she wasn't one to judge at all - but catching Elka in Duke's room just after his confession was more than a reason for her to feed her disgust.

"He doesn't speak to the psycho anymore.", Elka said with mirth, her eyes glittering, probably rejoicing in that fact. Her friend laughed before taking a puff of her cigarette. "If I didn't know Duke, I'd say he's in love with her.", the friend resumed and Elka just shrugged her shoulders, indifferent.

"Oh Jenna.", Elka grinned with mischief, her eyes gleaming with a feeling that Cihangir preferred to not acknowledge. "He may be in love with her but he lays down with me."

She took another long drag of her cigarette then released the smoke in the thick air and Cihangir just stood there, watching them debating the love life of a man she loved. It didn't matter how, what mattered now is the jealousy that was eating her out. She never experienced this; caring about someone to the point where the only mention of his name on someone else's lips was enough to fill her with pure fury.

"I can cure his love to an ungrateful girl.", Elka said, a hint of sadness in her tone. "You should've seen her, Jenna; she's just so cold. She doesn't deserve him."

Cihangir made her way to the two girls, in confidence and ease, the sound of her heels echoing in the hallway. She couldn't help but feel her heart warming of triumph and victory when she saw Elka's astounded expression. She wondered if Duke has invited her, and if so, why would he abandon her to the profit of the Shadehaven girl, Émilie Blanchard?

Jenna's face was pale as the dead when she met Cihangir's eyes; those were cold as usual, throwing steely gazes at the two friends, making Jenna back off, too struck to even say a word.